fuel savings chip

Asked by Apr 01, 2010 at 09:02 AM about the 2008 Ford Escape

I was wondering if the ford escape fuel saving chip or module that sell on ebay is any good, i know that the hp they claim these gives is false but they are saying the escape truck are running rich from factory. It seems that the module fools the IAC signal to reduce the air fuel ratio, I am guessing it is a resistor that changes the signal sent to the ecm. But is it true that from factory the 2008 escape V6 is too running rich ? and if these chip would help for my fuel milage without compromising the motor by a too lean air fuel ratio i guess it would be a good idea???

9,140

A lot of factory engine run rich by default. This is so that if the there is an issue that cause the engine to go lean by a few point then there is a safety margin. So doing a re-flash could increase millage but could increase the possibility of engine problems.

Thanks, The chip is not really a re-flash, i beleive it is just a module that hooks to the IAC circuit probably to send a higher temperature reading to reduce the fuel injected by the map. the correct way to monitor that would be to install a wideband, but my goal is not for whp gain but air fuel efficiency, this is not a race car just a daily driver that we use as a famely car i dont see the point of going with a wideband. The e-bay price is around $20, and i dont really think a little to lean air fuel mixture would cause an engine to fail under normal use. Please correct me if i am wrong. i might test it just to see if i will notice drastic change on fuel consuption.

9,140

It should be ok for a car driven under normal circumstances and a slightly leaner air/fuel ratio won't hurt. The computer may try to correct the air fuel ratio though. In turn adding in even more fuel.

9,140

Here is an article about those http://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/iat-resistor-mods-vs-performance-modules-vs-real-chips. Sounds like they are just a cheap resistor packaged to look more sophisticated.