battery won't hold a charge.

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 02:37 PM about the 2008 Dodge Avenger

I was stuck, and had to take my car to an unethical mechanic, who has a
history of fixing one thing, while breaking something else. I had no issues
before this time, my battery is less than 5 months old, the alternator is less
than a year old, but the battery won't hold a charge. What things could he
possibly have done to my car? What should I look for, what should I check?

A parasitic drain. This guy is good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

20

I have 2013 Avenger SXT 2.4 which had a parasitic battery drain. My wife noticed a tiny light flickering in the center console, which is there to light the interior of the console when opened. that light and another one in the glove box has faulty pin switches, which was causing the lights to stay on continuously, which kept draining the battery. We went through three batteries before discovering that this was the culprit. The light in the center console is towards the back of the car, inside the compartment and is very small. The pin switch in located on the bottom driver side at the back of the console. It's VERY hard to see but trust me, it's there. I found a piece of rubber to wedge on top of the switch to keep it from coming on. The light in the glove box is located at the top of the open box, close to the top right corner. on way to check to see if this is indeed is the cause of your battery being drained, is to use your cell phone's video camera. Place your phone on record with the camera facing the light and carefully close the glove box door for 10 seconds or so. then play back the recording to see if the light stays on. if it does stay on in either case, the pin switch for the glove box light is a little harder to get to. all you have to do it open the glove box door and look on the right inside of the door lid. you will see a little hole with a round plastic clip sticking through it. The clip is attached to a thin cable which is nothing more that "simulated hydraulic like" action to keep the door from falling open quickly. to open the lid all the way, all you have to do is while it's open, use both hands and squeeze the right and left sides of the glove box compartment together, as in your's trying to make them meet in the middle. as you squeeze them together, gently pull the box downward and it should fall completely open. then you grab the compartment with both hands and pull downward and to the rear of the car and it should just pop off. once you do that, you will see the pin switch on the very bottom of the opening where the glove box WAS. there is a little thin metal piece which is pointing down towards the floor. use your fingers and slightly bend it upwards towards you, making sure NOT to bend too much or too hard, as it is VERY thin. after you do this, use your finger to depress that metal piece back to where it was, all while watching the light in the top of the glove box opening. if it goes out, then this was one of the culprits. just reverse the process to replace the glove box. I hope this helps someone out.