08 dodge avenger / whats wrong when the passanger side doesnt heat

30

Asked by Mar 25, 2014 at 04:59 AM about the 2008 Dodge Avenger

this car has mechanics stumped... after having heat core flush and thermostat replace and even water pump and heat resistor / it still not working...and now mechanic tells me it could be head gasket but he doesn't know until he works on it...which means a lot more $$$ and it still might not be the problem ...,,,,. so far its been 4 different mechanic and a lot of money and the problem still same and I have no car for 4 months now,,, can you give me some kind of direction......after all this I would hate to trade it in if its something simple...,,,,cause I really like this car   thank you

23,505

Is the question/problem that the heater is not working on the passenger side? I'm confused- if that's the problem, it just sounds like a flap is not working under the dash- why all the cooling system work?! Either I'm not understanding the problem, or you have a bunch of hungry, so-called "mechanics" smelling money and circling you like sharks- woah- hold off on the head gasket until you find a real mechanic to advise you-

30

Yes the problem is / heat not working on passanger side /

23,505

ok- the problem is under your dash- a flap is not opening- if heat is coming out on the driver side, then the heater is working- it is just not diverting it to the other side- why all the cooling system work?! WHY? It makes no sense- either these "mechanics" are morons- or crooks- or both

35

question: I have the same problem. Heater blows hot air on the driver side, but it blows cool air on the passenger side. I'm guessing the solution is the same, right?

50

Hello all would like to share as I have had this issue. The bad news is it is most likely the heater coil the way it sits the passenger side runs through the lower half of the coil and the driver through the upper. I have a 2012 avenger and it was plugged went to the extent of having it chemically cleaned and repeated flushed before it broke free and cleared it was a lot of work and not Shure if it wasn't a bit more stubborn would have required a heater core change. the dodge mechanics are well aware of the issue due to the small diameter of the coils and the position it sits they will simply change it out and put a whole new core in. Recommended flushing annually to avoid hard build up in core. I also as luck would have it had the cold air actuator fail at the same time another poor designed part. however this does not affect right to left heat. usually accompanied by a 2o second clicking under dash. for those of you who are hearing that. easy to change $40 part check out YouTube for vid. Hope this helps as I have been freezing my ass off all winter and now hope to enjoy the heat from my car. Oh and if it is the heater core and not the actuator it will have no effect on ac just heat. Good luck.

20

This doesn't make sense. Water does not run through upper side for driver and lower for passenger. Water runs through the entire coil. In one side out the other. If you are getting some heat, then hot water is running through entire coil. More like the actuator, not working properly. For those who don't know what actuator means. A littler shock that moves in and out ,opening the little door under your dash.

10

I have the same issue on my 2011 avenger, the car is at the dealer right now. They are telling me the heater coil is blocked and needs to be replaced and the coolant needs to be flushed for $1100.00. Hot air on the drivers side and cold air on the passenger side. Dodge knows there is an issue but will not resolve it. I already knew this was going to be the issue before I took it in, I know someone that had the same problem and I have read several issues regarding the problem on the internet. I opted to just have the cooling system flushed for $129.00. Probably will not fix the problem, but you never know. A new heater core is only $54.00, Its all labor.

20

My wife has a 2012 dodge advenger heat on drivers side cool on passengers side.none of your suggestion are correct.its a lemon. First chance I get I'm getting rid of it car sucks!!!!

30

Very common problem. Heater core needs to be replaced. If you hit the recirculate button on the fan blower control it will make it warmer in the cabin. It's no fix, but it blows warm air and definitely helped me get through the cold winter months.

30

^ forgot to mention I had the same issue with my 2012 Jeep Liberty

50

i own fatt daddys auto inc,we have encountered this problem many times it is definitaly the heater core. you can use a product called CLR .disconnect heater hoses pour it into the heater core let it set for a couple of hours,blow it out hook up hoese and have heat.we have 90 percent success rate. cost is 6.25 verses 1100 good luck

20

Replaced the heater core, thermostat, and control switch. It worked for a week and then started blowing cold again. repair shop insisted there were no damper or actuator issues. What should i do next? the passenger side is 50 degrees colder (155 vs 105) than the drivers side.

i have the same problem have had the car since 2012 new had two heater cores in two years put in car is out of wornty thay said thay wouldnot fix under wornty i used some commen sence and found that the cabin air filter is durty it may be the problem i got better heat know

I have the exact same issue on my 2012 Avenger R/T for the second time!. It happened once under warranty a few years ago and they replaced the heater core. I'm now starting my second winter without heat and I can't take it. I'm going to try the CLR core flush that sccnew proposed above. Hopefully I don't screw up my car. lol