Would BMW put all wheel drive on an M3

Asked by Aug 21, 2008 at 05:38 PM about the 2008 BMW M3

Has it ever been discussed that BMW woudl produce an All wheel drive version of the M3?

125

I highly doubt it. The new m3 is already getting heavy and slow. Putting an all wheel drive system would add probably a few hundred extra pounds. bmw already bumped the engine up to a v8 just to make up for the extra weight. I havent followed bmw that much but I dont think they ever made an awd m car.

365

Its probably come up before, but i don't think it will happen. They're so good at what they do that there's no real need to change, now is there?

25

actually any bmw's with an x after the number of the car means its all wheel drive

125

Yea I know that. Im talking about the M class cars like the m3,5,6,z4 and I think thats it. the 328xi and all those are just boats.

25

right right my mistake i miss read that but i agree they are way to heavy

5

I really doubt this one.. if there EVER has been an M-Model with AWD, please show... @Question: Dont count on BMW making an M3 with AWD... This wont happen for sure... It would not fit in the philosophy of the M-Gmbh.... AWD is NOT sporty... Audi Uses Quattro coz of the silly Standard-FWD oriented cars... AND coz they got their reputation for making good AWD's... Merc's dont have AWD in their AMG's too (except the SUV's)...

35

THere has been no Ms with AWD. All the 3s have been RWD, same for 5s and the small ones don't even get AWD. ANd yes, Audi prolly does it because of the FWD cars and the tradition. They all handle like pigs anywho (they tend to go straight on since the engine is in between the headlights.

10

never

5

It would be nice to say yea its AWD but the cost in performance and ride quality in my opinion isn't something i would happy with.

worth noting that the porsche turbo is all wheel drive and it handles pretty well. When you have that kind of power its nice to have the "hand of god" to keep you from getting in trouble on wet roads

365

Mitsubishi Evo X (plus nearly all the others) are AWD and they handle incredibly well. And the GT-R is AWD and it handles even better. Aside from that, Audi is getting a lot better with their handling and weight distribution.

5

no they wouldnt but they should 2 compete with audis quatro system

105

I have 2 agree wit every1 else. The day an all wheel drive "M" car comes around tell me cas I must be under a rock.

75

Z3 and M1

10

BEEN with BMW for 8 years and they have never made this a point of discussion to even attemp making a 4 wheel drive system for anything but the x5 or x3. We pride ourselves on being able to be bigger better and stronger without using turbos and all wheel drive. With that being said we also never where going to use turbos and now look at the 335i. I would like to say that the advanced suspention of the m3 wouldnt allow the fron wheel drive system to opperate with the same responce on the track as they are getting with the rear wheel drive setup. so although all wheel drive cars hop into a faster 0-60 remember this is the altimate driving machine. not the altimate 0-60 machine. for that get a ford or a chevrolet... but look at where they are now lol

10

heavy and slow? compared to what? its there fastest m3 and there heaviest. but that allows more stability in taking time off there cornering. are you just speaking just to speak, or are you comparing the new m3 with the old one? although its not as fast as some would like, or as light, remember that there still better then any other car naturally asperated... and you have the luxury of everything at your fingure tips. weather on the track or going to work. what other car out there does that?

45

well....no.

5

the bmw m3 is already the fastes m3 ever made and it has one of the best traccion sistem it has an awsome stability thanks to the suspension and wight distribution it wouldnt make a great diference to put an awd sistem those guys are genius if the m3 needed an awd sistem it would have it dnt u think so? and plus is the most beutiful car ever made i think is just perfect and it doesnt need anythin more than what it has

You will never see and All wheel drive M3,M4, M6, or Z's, But what you will see is the X5 and X6 in an M format in the next 2-3 years. BMW is already working on it.

Thats meant to be an M5, not M4 in the post above

25

It's Just not the point of an M3. SR3 4 6 are 4 wheel driven cars ... But it would take the fun out of the M3 feel driving. It's not really a question of heavy (all Japs can be 4X4) but not M3 M3 is a concept of a car ... made by M power group. And what their aim is , is to guarantee the superb drive and fun of an M3 propulsion

25

RS 3 4 6 .. audi

45

I surely hope the M division will NOT make an AWD M car. It takes away from the heritage and true meaning of a track worthy race car. I myself own a 1989 E30 M3, RWD is the best out there. I am not a fan of the new 3,700 lb M3, it is ugly and is a boat. The V8 is a great engine, however you can take an E46 M3 2001-2006, S54 engine I6, put a supercharger on it, and blow the doors off most anything on the road. The only reason people want an AWD M car is because they can't drive worth a shit. Real track cars are RWD!! peace

45

i agree that they shouldn't make any AWD ///M cars. however, i wouldnt exactly say take an E46 with a supercharger because the whole point of these cars is that they dont require after market parts in order to be as good as they are [otherwise you may as well buy japanese...which isnt bad in itself but being on a BMW forum i guess im obligated to dislike them =P]. Take a ride in the new M3 i promise you wont be disappointed. the difference is that its a new car, its not the old E30 M3 that everyone knew and loved but its a new E90 that everyone needs to be familiarize but loves unconditionally...rave reviews great RWD track car, like all proper BMWs should be.

65

every Bimmer has 50/50 weight distribution and therefore everything is pretty much balanced. the battery is in the trunk and they are heavy for a reason. like a Rickenbacker or other guitars, they are heavy because they go fast/are exceptinal and are extremely safe cars in crash tests, like the 325xia which I own (dual steptronic clutch, DSC, etc.). I asked my BMW dealer and the techs say they'll never put X-drive in M3, M5, or M6. audi s6 can't compete with BMW, they may win the Le Mans time to time, doesn't mean they are better than BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine. They are the #1 all luxury automobile company in the world, beating Mercedes-Benz and Lexus. I'm dead serious.

35

As far as luxury goes, Merc wins hands down. It is the comfy car. BMWs are and prolly never will be the comfy cars for one, very, very good reason - they are the ultimate driving machines. Handling and comfy goes togheter just that far. And as for 4WD in an M3, as i said, no. Same goes for Z4s and M6. But an M5? I can see and Xdrive M5 easily. It's not as 'Autobahn-cruizerish' as an RS6, but with the 4.4 V8 Twin Turbo already churning out 550 bhp in X5/6M and prolly getting a whole lot closer to 600 bhp by the time the new (M)5 gets out, Xdrive starts to look better and better. Because let's face it, how many M5 owners are racing drivers? Not that much. It's the general public you need to cater for. That's why we have a shitload electronics in our cars, so an average joe can drive it fast and not get killed while doing so.

65

that's because mer are more luxury and i;'ve seen tons of people driving a benz (that would be my father) and they get in accidents. BMW's are the #1 luxury make on the planet right now. check the stock. it's higher than mercedes. mercedes is soooo old school. you can corner much better in a bimmer than a mercedes and bmw used to make airplanes. M6 kicks the shit off of any amg. i test drove a bmw 335xia and it beat a f---- amg sl55 merc and i was only going 60 miles an hour and the merc was going 80. i beat that piece of ass-swipe shit.

35

How can you 'beat the shit' out of someone while going 20 mph slower?!?! And Mercs are the best _LUXURY_ cars. BMWs may be the best high class, but not the best luxury cars. And i've told you why is that.

1,035

That wouldn't sell too well. RWD is half the fun!