My son's Scion tC 2007 has been reved hard in park for 5 minutes every 2 weeks for 2 yrs. The engine locked up yesterday. Is it a result of the reving?

Nicki Silver-Turner

Asked by Oct 31, 2013 at 09:16 PM about the 2007 Scion tC

My son live in Philly, but, his car stays in my garage (for the past 2 yrs). so it hasn't
been driven. My father-in-law is 'old-school' and thinks the reving should occur, I
disagree, it's not 1970. Prior to the storage of the car, the oil was changed every 6
months, adamently. What do you think? I'm unsure about the Base or Spec Auto, but
it's, definitely, automatic.

Could have been, but it's a moot point now. Are you sure the engine is seized or another issue from just sitting?

revving? lord really...what's the purpose? I've always been of a mind that unless a load is out there (power to wheels) will screw up the valve train causing undue harmonics (Clappin) of the valve guides because a NO- Load condition makes the forces have to go somewhere...if not down the driveshaft...back on dope, do you not realize what damage you're doing to a motor that hasn't seen much flow of advise is just let it just idle for a good ten minutes...then rev..about to 4000 more...that's just silly~

Best Answer

I'm sure things like tires will need replacing and the whole car gone over to make it road worthy again. Sorry your didn't take it out on occasion for a spin.

Nicki Silver-Turner

@Tom : While he was revving, is when it seized. I drove it about a mile about 2 months ago to fill it with gas (my son was going to be home, but changed plans) and it seemed fine. His tires are fairly unused ... does 'dry-rot' occur when kept in a garage? Is that what you mean? I'll certainly have the mechanic check them out. Thanks for your help :)

Nicki Silver-Turner

@Judge_Roy : I couldn't agree with you more. Though I don't understand some of the jargon, even I knew that today's cars do not need that sort of 'exercising', as my father-in-law called it. Thank you for your help :)

...well NIcki, it's just annoying....a kind of a way...must make with the loud sounds...stooops. Thanks for listening to me bitch and even awarding me for my comments...but if you know about the behavior of know about harmonics...and especially unlubricated engines...crikey, what the hell is with that guy...does he drink...?