How many '88 Fiero's had T-tops or where can I find out the answer?

Asked by Nov 27, 2013 at 04:17 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero

217,245

Pontiac probably never broke it down that far on options.... Why is it so important? http://www.nookandtranny.com/ProNo_8488Fiero.html......Contact GM customer service and they can probably give you some additional information......https://www.pontiac.com/toolbar/contact_us.html

Thanks for the response, Tom. I'm a vehicle appraiser working on a divorce case and the husband heard this was a "rare" option on Fiero's( the wife's car). I tried to tell him that would be very hard to determine that information since Pontiac more than likely would only know the actual figure. I wanted to at least give it a true attempt at trying to find out the number. Thanks again for your response.

265

The factory T-Top option was only on the 1988 year cars. If it is original to the car the RPO code will be "CJB" And the info from the 1996 Fiero Spotters Guide second edition is; Coupe = 91 Formula = 547 GT = 614 hope that helps.

10

The Fiero Spotter Guide that was printed in the 2nd edition was wrong, have him feel free to contact me by email, podziemj@matc.edu You are correct that 88 was the ONLY year you could get the Factory ship-thru t-tops RPO code CJB, but the true numbers are Base Coupe 339, Formula 299 and GT 614 for a total of 1252, now it gets even rarer by what color exterior and interior and other options if it's a GT. I have been log just the 1252 cars since 1990. Hope this information helps you, but should you need more just email me as I mentioned. Fiero John-WI

20

Fiero John's numbers are correct. T-top registry is at: http://www.fierottop.com/

50

Now here is the rest of the story. The CJB cars were just the cars Pontiac sent to Cars and Concepts to have the tops put in. Prior to this Cars and Concepts installed these roofs in Fiero's from late 1983 to the early 1990's. The fact is the tops came in kit form and were an approved dealer installed option by Pontiac. This means a dealer could have a Cars and Concept install shop put them in and still sell the car as a new fully warrantied new car. The number of kits I was told were around 8,000 over the CJB cars. This number accounted for the kits installed in Fiero's, also kits broken up for warranty work and some sold to kit cars based on the Fiero. Phillip Edwards was the guy in charge of the Fiero program from start to finish at Cars and Concepts. He later bought the division out and renamed it Fairmont Skylights. The difference of the CJB and the kits were the seals where the kit used a two piece seal and the CJB used a one piece seal. The parts are interchangeable in both. The fact is many of the kits were installed by the same people who did the CJB tops too. Some collectors like to make it out the CJB are a lot more special but the fact is they physically are 98% identical and often installed by the same folks. As for Value the real value is to find a top in good shape. No scratches in the glass or trim. The seals in good shape and the plastic caps unbroken. So many of these parts get torn up and finding good replacements can be difficult or expensive. I have seen the NOS seals sell for $1500 alone. So the truth is the number of cars may be closer to 7000-8000 cars less the warrantied kits. You can break them down from there as the 84-87 kits and the 88 CJB cars but they all are about the same. In fact I have seen many of the kits installed to a higher quality than the CJB as often one person did all the work on the kit and took the time to make sure everything was spot on.