Can you tell from the VIN if an '88 Fiero started out as a standard or automatic shift?

Asked by Apr 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero

My '88 is a standard.  How can I figure out if it was always a standard?

255

The tranny type is not in the vin #. It is listed on the RPO list which is in under the front hood. I would tell you which side it is on but it is pouring rain outside. It is on one of the inner fenders, 3"x5" with a bunch of letters and numbers in several long rows. Like (AU3 L44 B34 C60 UQ6) you get the idea. The RPO code for the 5 speed is MM5, and the code for the auto is MX1.

most came as a straight drive,if it has been changed over,you would know just by the way it looks.

255

In 88 Pontiac made (14,008) 5-speed Fiero's and (12,394) automatic Fiero's, this info is from the Fiero Spotters Guide 1996 edition.

Thanks so much. I got my signals crossed - my yellow '88 Formula is an auto. It is absolutely cherry, with 91k miles and zero defects. I wish it were a 5-speed, but don't want to make any changes that would alter it's absolutely original status. I had a previous yellow '88 Formula that I first took to a Getrag, then a 4.9. It was "interesting", but I had destroyed a perfectly good original car. Never forgave myself. Swore off Fieros for five years, then couldn't hold out any longer and got another one late last year. This one will go untouched.

255

Some folks love the car bone stock, while others love to their personal touch on the car. I have had 5 in the past and am working on #6 now. First three stayed stock and the last 2 got altered some. This last is my keeper, it is like yours, yellow, 88 but has the duke and a 5 spd. I get teased about the small motor but hey it will go fast enough to get me all the speeding tickets I could ever want. This last one is being modified, I have already done the lambo doors, next will be the normal fiero wing at almost the same height as the roof. Then will come wheels and tires, adjustable coil-overs in the back and dropped spindles in the front. Eventually dual exhaust with a nice mellow tone. When I get done this should stand out nicely, I'm staying with the original yellow. there is already a pic of the yellow car, I will post pics of the black #4 and the gray #5.