Engine swap or repair?

Asked by Jun 21, 2011 at 12:27 AM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero

I just got a 86 4 banger Fiero with some engine problems and i am wondering if i should fix it or get another engine to put in it.  If so what other engines can i put in it without having to do a ton of work?

25

To be perfectly honest, if the car is that bad, to the point where it practically needs a new engine. You might as well get another car, because you may end up spending more $ repairing the old engine instead of getting an entirely new one. To avoid losing $ and the nuisance of having to fix it, look elsewhere for a car. Hoped that helped a little.

265

There are many engine changes you can do into a fiero. Putting in a better 2.5 which is a great motor if you want good mileage. But I have seen swaps that include Corvette engines, all the way up to big North Stars. The most popular is the 3800SC. I know some have even put in some non-GM motors. It just depends on how much you want to spend in cash and time.

what is the problem with the motor in it now.