I am looking at a Fiero

Asked by Mar 03, 2009 at 08:25 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero

I am looking at two Fieros that a guy is selling for a $1000 one is a 86 with a 4 cyl and the other which is a parts car is a 84 with a 4 cyl with no title both have cracked windsheald the parts one has an auto and the 86 has a 5 speed. He has an extra 5 speed to go with it the good one needs paint but is rust free with a sunroof all is there but he replaced the slave cylender and cracked the hose for it so the cluch dont disengage when u press in the cluch but it runs. I was wondering how reliable is 1986 as a daily driver and how hard is it to replace that hose

235

The Fiero is best 'looked at.' My second-hand '86 V-6 cost money each and every month we owned it. Lots of fun to drive, but there are a lot of reasons you don't see many of them on the road any more.

185

When maintained properly any car is a good daily driver. You can check online at "the Fiero Store", Rodney Dickman and ebay for most parts that you need to keep the Fiero running you can also check your local salvage yards especially for the 4cyl parts since they are most common. It's good on gas I have the 88 GT 6cyl and get anywhere from 25-30mpg depending on how heavy my foot is that week. The 4 cyl does better than that but I dont remember what my 84 used to get. And its fun to drive. If you live in an area that gets snow be careful. I do not drive mine in the winter but some people do. I have a tough time keeping it straight on ice and snow.

185

Another note I bought my 88 in 89 used and have owned it since...never really had any major problem that was unexpected for the mileage. And I drive it as much as possible (except the winter)