My hummer sometimes will not start like it doesn't want to fire up. Wait 10 min and it starts.

stingerh3
0

Asked by Oct 22, 2012 at 03:03 PM about the 2007 Hummer H3

maybe is the fuel pump

Michael Kane
21,495

I would say the fuel pump is a good place to start. sounds like its not building up good fuel pressure.

John Leone
7,855

to test the fuel pump/filter, have the truck off, then turn the key to acc/lights come on, but not the engine, some models you will hear a low gurgle sound, for a few seconds, turn the key off, then repeat the process again, then off, then start it, to see if the system is just needing more pressure to be primed...

Tracy Dial-Tipton
360

My 2006 hummer h3 is doing the SAME thing, did you find out what was wrong with yours??

GraceL
60

Seems to work if you sit and wait. But its a bummer as who wants to wait when you want to get going.

HummerGirl
560

I Have a 2004 Hummer H2 that will not crank at times. I will drive it then put it in park sit with it running for a short period of time. Shut it down for under 5 minutes then jump in try to start it and NOTHING. Lights and all electronics come on but it will not turn over. I hear a slight scratch like sound when turning the key all the way to crank. It's not the Battery, Not the Neutral Safety switch, Not the Starter or the Starter Solenoid. But After sitting for a little while it suddenly starts. We are about to replace the key ignition itself. It like maybe something is getting hot then cooling off or something. ANY IDEAS??

PatriciaDoss
445

Did anyone find the real reason the H3 will not start and in ten minutes starts right up...If it's a factory problem it should be a recall...

Ashley Rush
100

I had the same problem and they think the problem is a temperature sensor that was sending faulty readings to the computer. It was thinking that the engine was too cold and sending fuel to the motor causing it to flood.

Rcdhuman
320

I also have the exact same curse. It cranks and seems like the battery is working but it won't efffing start. I have to wait at least 10 minutes. What the heck is going on. Is there anybody that solved this?

cocod
595

I have the 2006 hummer h3 and I switched out the relay for the fuel pump number 66 with another one and she fired up.hummer was down for a few days but all good now.

cocod
595

It was easygoing in your engine compartment open the fuse box look At your fuse box panel diagram and find number 66 fuel pump relay switch it for now with another one with the same part number on it, your hummer should fire up with a crank no start issue.bad relay.

cocod
595

#66in the fuse panel switch it out for a min with maybe your rear defrost relay your hummer should fire up.

awezhum
240

I've had the same problem for 4 1/2 years on a 2006 H3! If you wait exactly 10 minutes, it starts just fine. Had fuel pump and sensor changed. Twice! Because they thought first one was faulty since I still had the problem. Then they thought it could be the ignition and/or the passlock. Apparently, the passlock is what thinks your car is being stolen and shuts it down for 10 minutes. However, they are each $600 and no guarantee that either is the problem and the car is out of warranty. Haven't done either. Has anyone with the 10 minute thing actually found a solution???

Robtorres90
120

I have the same exact problem. I have a 2006 H3 with 65,000 miles on it and same thing happens. I go to start it up and it turns over but doesn't start. I wait exactly 10 mins and it starts right up. I don't think it's the fuel pump, I think it has something to do with the security system. The car thinks it's being stolen.

Snerman
40

The ten minute wait period is defiantly security problem. When the vehicle will not start check the security symbol on your dash and if it is flashing then that is the problem. I have a 06 H3 and replaced the ignition switch and was better for awhile but started doing it again today. Another thing to try is take dielectric grease and put on all of the connections for the security and it might work.

geanyus
130

I have a 2008, H3 Alpha, and for the past two years I have had a similar problem. 1. Drive Hummer, shut off, get out. 2. Return some time later, attempt to start..no crank, yet all dash lights illuminate and the accessories work. 3. Thinking it was a slightly discharged battery, the first few times I tried to jump start...with no success. 4. Like magic after 10 minutes it fired right up, as if there is no problem. I bought a new battery, had it in the shop three times...no diagnosis because I can't replicate the problem. One constant is that it only happens in cold weather. Any advice...

cocod
595

just turn the key over till your lights come on wait 2 seconds then start...

Snerman
40

I have heard of one repair is to run wiring directly from the ignition switch to the Body control module for the security wring to eliminate the extra connections.The problem is cause by high resistance in cold weather.

Tracy Dial-Tipton
360

It's a pass lock issue and it's costly, I ended up trading mine in!

Jamiw4
50

I had the same problem with my 06 and realized that it was the anti theft kicking in it's in the owner book

cocod
595

Yep I got it figured out now.anti theft it is.

Thummer3
170

I agree. It is the GM Pass-Lock system part of the ignition switch. I had the exact same issue and tried cheap online bypass to the pass lock system. The only true fix for the problem is a GM dealership maintenance department Replace Ignition Switch. Problem went away going on 2 years ago and still good to go. This should be a recall and we should all ban together for a class action suit against GM, for once again instalcentsling the faulty units in 2003-2008 H3 Hummer ... . My total replacement cost (in Hawaii) $450.00 and they have to re-flash your ECM-Electronic Control Unit (engine computer) to learn the new ignition.Just my 2 cents...

jatpennclub
20

Mine did same thing was the battery would set off alarm and had to wait 10 min before start. If not check ignition switch may need replacement.

12YearsHummer
80

The problem, you are entering and starting the vehicle in a manner that makes the passlock think the vehicle is being stolen. Solution, lock the vehicle, make sure all doors are closed, unlock the vehicle from the driver side with the ignition key... the vehicle will start normally.

Tan Jason
20

can u help…what happen my car lock can't star…y got

Patricia Doss
40

I sent a note to GM and here is their response....We all need to send a note to them to make this a recall.... who do i need to talk to about a recall of Hummer 3...The anti-theft system is screwed up....Sometimes when you go to start up your vehicle it will not start because it thinks its being stolen and in exactly 10 minutes it will start....An inconvenience to say the least...You can check out carguru.com and see all of the complaints....It seems to be happening to 2005 thru 2008 H3's.....Please let me know if you will consider this being a recall since it happens to so many Hummers and it will be costly to the owner to have this problem taken care of....Thanks....Patricia Doss | pgdoss@ualr.edu | ptrc_dss@yahoo.com February 20th, 12:29pm I have still not heard from anyone concerning this matter....Hope to hear from you soon....In agony because of this problem....Inconvenience to say the least... February 21st, 1:34pm Hello Patricia, We profusely apologize for the delayed response and the difficulties with your Hummer 3. Have you notified your local dealership of this? We'd be happy to check for any pertinent service related announcements regarding the anti-theft system. Please send your VIN and we'll do so promptly. Sincerely, Eddie A. GM Customer Care March 2nd, 4:25pm 5gtdn136468273289....VIN......I will be waiting to hear from you....This is getting very annoying...IT HAPPENED TWICE OVER THE WEEKEND.... March 3rd, 12:17pm Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care Hi Patricia, I ran your VIN in our system and there are currently no open service announcements associated with your vehicle. If you would like, I can reach out to a dealership of your choice to have this issue addressed. Just so you are aware, due to the age of your vehicle any repairs would be at your cost. If you are still interested in consulting with a dealership, please provide me with your mileage, preferred dealership, and personal contact information. Regards, Austin J. GM Customer Care March 3rd, 5:10pm March 4th, 7:03am Good morning Patricia, I am so sorry about the multiple PMs sent to you yesterday. We were having some issues with our systems and it looks like this was a result. Again, if you are interested in speaking with a dealership to evaluate your options, I would be happy to assist. Enjoy your day, Austin J. GM Customer Care Chat Conversation End Camera

Tan Jason
20

jason

Tan Jason
20

my car at malaysian…meter size got lock have light lock

Tan Jason
20

want problem in my car cannot star by hi meter have lock light his bin  ling

SanDiegosun_26
90

I had the same problem with my 2007 H3. It happened once, then about 6 months later, then about a week later, and then every couple of days. It took me a little while to figure out the problem, but with searching online I figured out it was the ignition switch. The pass lock system thinks the car is being stolen. I started noticing that on the dashboard there is a symbol with a car and a lock and that would flash red as well as a small light by the radio controls when the car would not start. After about 10 minutes the car starts with no issue. I had the ignition replaced and then re-programed for about $350 with a mechanic and have not had a problem since. When I was researching about replacing the ignition I thought that it might be a good idea to go through a dealership but they would not replace anything without diagnosing the problem themselves. Well, that was an issue because first of all I knew what the problem was and second of all it is such an intermittent problem. Anyways, hope this post helps others that are having the same problem.

kingn
40

No no no hold brake all the way down and it will start if not try wht every body else said

kingn
40

Brake down for few seconds hold it down n start at same time .....your welcome

James Robinson
20

Hey guys before you buy any fuel pumps try to switch the fuse #66 and #72 (rear fog) my fuse was dead when I made the exchange and it started right up

kirwinpaulsen
0

Hi All, Thank you for adding your views here, this has been invaluable in getting me to a fix and solution. I have FINALLY solved this problem with help from a module i bought online. If anyone from South Africa is looking for this solution, please contact me as i have done this successfully, and can confidently offer my services. +2780.099.3361 Anyone technically minded out there , the NEWROCKIES solution solved my problem first time round. ** Just a side note, i also had a problem with the fuel relay, but only come to notice that it wasnt the relay itself, it was one of the pins that the relay plugs in to the was/ is faulty. i just made a quick plan with that, NOTE : this was separate to the Passkey situation of ten minutes a time ( if the little security light is flashing, then the passkey is your problem - If this is does not flash, and your car just swings over, then its your fuel relay etc.... Kind Regards, Kirwin

Evyy Menendez
10

My make the same thing for like last 6 months but 2 months ago the transmission was broken the mechanic tell me we ned tu change and I pay like 2000 to fix

SanDiegosun_26
90

Replacing the ignition solved my problem.

hidesrtdav
40

http://www.safercar.gov This is a complaint website should enough Hummer H3 Owners complain about faulty security pass lock system. I just posted mine.

hidesrtdav
40

Concerning pass lock problems for H3 Hummers, This has been extemely frustrating having to wait 10 minutes after a you try to start the vehicle and you get nothing. I bought 2 hummer h3's and was considering buying a caddy before I retire, but this will never be now. I have been studying the no start pass lock for some time now. What I have done is the following. Spray the ignition switch where the key enters the ignition switch with a good cleaner. Then if you put in the key and take it out you will see the grime on your key. After you clean your key, repeat this process until the key comes out of the ignition pretty clean. Then spray a little lubricant like graphite in the ignition switch. You should feel the difference on the key. Then start your hummer up. The second part I found out is if you keep pass lock off, you can start the vehicle and I have done this. What you should do is never use your remote as this will turn on pass lock. Example, get out of vehicle and lock your vehicle while using remote at the same time looking at the gauges. You will see the red passlock light come on for a few seconds. That means your pass lock is on. If you try using the key to open your door, passlock will engage and you will hear the horn sounding intermittenly. You have to then use your remote to disengage passlock. Just avoid using your remotes. Press your door lock switch to lock the doors and shut the door. Then use your key to open door and use the interior automatic lock to open all doors. . You will find you can start your hummer this way. So far, I have done this and my vehicle starts every time. This is not a fix to the passlock, but will save you much frustration having to wait to start your vehicle. In the mean time, GM, has failed to make this right. I bought 2 vehicles from them in good faith and not happy with them.

Jcodina
0

I spoke with Ira customer complaints 866-486-6376 and I told her that I had problems with the ignition and it has to be as a recall same on the transmission fail with 80000 miles it slips and I spoke with Adre Felip he is the custermer experience manager please I need you all to call because he said I was the only one with this problem . Sincerely Jorge.

Jay_FL
20

This happens with 2009 models as well... Definitely a must recall... Missed a few meetings because of it! Turning to Land Over ... Much more for my money, lifestyle, and busy life we live in

Jay_FL
20

*Land Rover, LR4 to be more specific... What a vehicle! Will sell my H3T soon despite the fact I love Hummers being a Military Vet

joelsand
0

I'm having the same problem with my 2007 H3, but I'm having to wait 15 to 20 minutes and this happens only when its cold out side. then try to start the engine and its fine.

mstgvic
30

2006 H3 have suffered through this issue for 6, 7 years and spent around $1000.00. I was told by someone in the business when you call GM customer service whether you are the 1st or 100,000 caller they are trained to reply as if they have Never heard the complaint before. Even my own dealership acted like it was something they had never heard of but didnt mind taking my $400 on 2 occasions. ..yet just 2 days ago car wouldnt start.

mstgvic
30

I'm in for class action and am calling/writing all suggestions in this post.

Holli Flippo
30

I have had the 2006 H3 for almost 10 years. Over the past 3 years mine has been having the same issues. Initially, it began only in cold weather every few months. Now, I live in a warm climate and it is happening weekly. I have had the coolant system, temperature gage, spark plugs, coils, Oil sensors, and more fixed on this car to fix the issue. Due to it being an intermittent problem, the automotive repair places have been unable to make an accurate diagnosis, resulting in thousands of unnecessary repairing costs on my part. This issue has become very frustrating. After reading these posts, I do not see how they cannot make a recall. This is ridiculous.

PatriciaDoss
445

I am still having the same problem after 4 years....I've tried everything. I have learned to live with it...But, it is still frustrating....You have to plan everything 10 to 15 minutes earlier...

Rico_1
20

I have owned my 2006 Hummer H3 for the past 8 years and about 5 months ago it started doing the same thing. Not wanting to start no matter what I do and then starting like nothing was ever wrong after 10 minutes. If this is headed for a Class Action, then count me in... I'm tired of this happening! My H3 just turned 50k miles and I live in Florida where the weather is warm... Really hope to get this fixed... Stay safe... Rico

Rico_1
20

Hey guys, just so you know, I went over to http://www.safercar.gov and initiated a formal complaint with the NHTSA... Maybe we should all do this and with a little luck a RECALL for this issue might emerge... Just food for thought... Stay safe... Rico

Rico_1
20

I just received an email from the NHTSA. Here is what they wrote... I think that if we all initiate a complaint we will get results with this issue. Here is the email: This email is to confirm we received your vehicle complaint submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for this public service as it is through actions like yours that together we can save lives on America's roadways. Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is 1X8Y03T2. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint. What happens next? Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you. Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community. Will my vehicle be recalled? When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car. If your vehicle is included in a recall, the manufacturer will contact you. Sign up to receive recall email alerts from NHTSA if there's ever a recall involving your vehicle. If you have any other questions regarding your complaint, please contact NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation: Phone: 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST(Spanish-speaking representatives available) TTY: 888-424-9153 (Please have your ODI number referenced above available.) Email: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact (Please indicate your ODI Number referenced above in the contact form.) Thank you for contacting us and playing a critical role in helping to keep our roads safe. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, IT HAS BEEN AUTO-GENERATED. To find out more about NHTSA, visit SaferCar.gov, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Review our Privacy Policy.

hotlanta
20

2008 H3 I had the this problem of turn the key and nothing, wait 10 to 15 minutes sometimes longer and it starts right up. after a lot of guesses and money came down to a connection to the control module and connector block, repaired the connection with new terminals in the block and never had problem again, this took about a year to find.

Rico_1
20

Thank you so much for sharing! Will definitely look into that... Stay safe... Rico

Christina Shannon
10

Mine does the same thing...exactly 10 minutes and presto! I have replaced many things thinking the problem has been fixed and then all of a sudden it happens again! Frustrating and embarrassing when I'm in a crowded gas station and my Hummer won't start ...so then I sit there looking annoyed while people ask if I need a jump...GRRRRR!!!! Just happened again yesterday after a year of not doing it.

Dylan MacLean
30

Same issue happening. I plan to get it fixed but I was curious to know if you guys were keeping your keys in the ignition while waiting? I have waited hours twice now for it to reset it self.

mstgvic
30

Dylan,. I have tried with key left in ignition and out with same wait time but usually take it out. Note to everyone on this page. Please go to link given above to launch your complaint. Thanks

mstgvic
30

Also, getting it fixed is a crap shoot. I have new fuel pump and ignition but sane no start issue remains. I am now going to try the swap fuse option.

12YearsHummer
80

Hi all, this is a very simple issue and actually not an issue at all. Its part of the security system in the Hummer H3. If you enter the vehicle in an improper manner, for instance the alarm is set but the windows are down and you open the vehicle from inside or unlock it without the key then try to start it etc. there are many scenarios where this can happen... the security system will prevent the vehicle from starting for 10 minutes. If you continue with the shenanigans it may be more. When this occurs at least try to learn what you did to cause it (maybe also need new alarm FOB key battery or FOB altogether). Then simply exit the vehicle, lock it with the key in the driver side door, wait a few seconds, then unlock the vehicle with the key (in the driver side door). this should allow the vehicle to start without issue.

Hummerbummer
10

Hey folks, I have a 2007 hummer h3 3.5l that cranks but doesn't start. Sequence of events: drive to parents house to work on trailer lights. Discover chafed wires at body just below rear door and disconnect trailer connect pigtail ... Attempt to start vehicle and it won't start. Check fuel pump relay by switching with others and it checks out good. Check fuel pump fuse and it's good. Not hearing fuel pump prime during startup. Purchase and replace fuel pump issue not resolved. Purchase and replace crank sensor and both can sensors ... Issue not resolved. Straight wire fuel pump from battery. It cranks and runs like a champ. How do I fix this?

Foote14
20

To solve all of yalls problems i have the solution i figured mine out and not a problem since its not s fuel problem replace the starter switch mounted on the lock cylinder assembly it shorts out and enables the pass lock module or security !!

Foote14
20

After doing so go thru the vehicle relearn procedures it will clear it right up

Dylan MacLean
30

The car started to not recognize the key. I also replaced the computer module part of the lock cylinder and have had great results. I did have to reprogram the key and I did have to get my keyless start reprogrammed

GibsonGray
0

changed my battery, started the vehicle and drove to the store and back, Now it will not start, and the key is stuck in the ignition. I can turn the key, but nothing happens. And i can't get the key out of the switch

Foote14
20

As long as the battery is dead the key will not come out of the ignition hook a proper power source to the battery and the key can be removed the lock mechanism is electric

Jay_FL
20

Guys, our gm service department here in south Florida figured it out. The problem is the ignition mechanism. Some original parts will have a glitch with the alarm system. When turning they key, you can see if alarm is locking the vehicle. Our solution was to replace the ignition and it never happened again (I almost sold the truck over these, so if you want a solution, this is it). I will post tomorrow the detailed part # and the exact sign gi en in the dashboard. Please note, no inspection or device will detect this issue. If the dealership mechanics run their computers, the error won't be identified. Again, will post more details tomorrow...

Foote14
20

I figured that out months ago and stated it 4 comments ago

Jay_FL
20

@Foote14... Just making sure it is repeated because like me, only search when the shit hits the fan... Feel free to read everything again though...

Ang Heisenberg
0

Simply amazing article! Thanks for the info, super helpful. Just look at the service http://goo.gl/Qg4S4b. Its pretty easy to use. I think you can get a free trial if you ask for it.

Brookeh3
0

Jay_FL please post instructions on how to rid this non sat issue.