fueling problems

110

Asked by Nov 20, 2009 at 08:36 PM about the 2007 Suzuki XL-7

Everytime I pump gas in my tank, my engine won't start. I have to sit for a few minutes and after 3-4 attempts the engine finally starts. I started leaving my car running when I pump gas in the tank. While I'm pumping the gas, sometimes the engine sputters but keeps running and sometimes it simply conks out the minute I start pumping in the gas (i noticed it seems to conk out when the engine is really hot and/or I'm very low on gas). This first started about 2 months ago right after I got 4 new tires put on. My cahas never been the same since. A mechanic changed my spark plugs and bought a new gas cap, but it is till doing the same thing. It is a 2007 with 105,000 miles. Other than when I re-fuel, I have zero problems starting the car. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening or the cause of this problem?

1,475

you may want to check the fuel filter or replaced it if it has 105,000 and it has never been replace before its a good time to do it. You may have a lot of particles build up at the bottom of the tank and when you pump gas in it or low on gas it starts to suck up all the dirt. FYI its dangerous to fuel vehicles when its running. also its bad to let your gas go to empty cause like i said before the fuel pump sucks up dirt and it can cause a build up and eventually damage components

110

It is ur purge solenoid sensor, the reason i know is i just replaced it. It cost 250 bucks and has to be ordered from suzuki

40

i l have a 2002 sonata gls and it do the same thing after refueling. Otherwiseit run great! l don't undestand how the purge soleniod causes that kind of problem.explain to me if you can. Email me lostd131@aol.com thank you! t

30

Is the purge soleniod sensor the same as a purge valve? I am having the same problem as the initial post. 2007 XL7 roughly 105k miles....every time I get gas my car won't start back up. It has been doing this for a couple months. It takes almost 12 tries before it starts up. My mechanic hooked it up to a machine that registered that my car was fine. I had to take my mechanic with me to the gas station to prove to him what it was doing. I called a dealership (one of 2 in my state...neither are anywhere close to me) and they told me it might be a purge valve.

110

I am not sure if a purge solenoid sensor is the same as a purge valve but I would recommend you call the Suzuki parts place (google it on the internet) and Im sure they can tell you. When I replaced my purge solenoid ($139.63), it did solve the problem I was having with the engine not starting when I gassed up. BTW: I have since learned that if you need to purchase any parts, the Suzuki engine is made by GM so you can purchase GM parts instead of Suzuki parts (cross reference the parts numbers) and it is the identical part!! ...by purchasing the GM part, you will pay about 75% less. Not kidding!! I now have 184,000 miles on my XL7 and recently had to replace a couple of Actuators. The Suzuki part was $700 for each Actuator. We cross referenced the number to the GM parts and paid $100/each. It is infuriating how Suzuki will blatantly rip you off!! Good Luck!

40

Did your check engine light come on? Mine does the same thing no check engine light. Dealer says your check engine light would come on if it is the purge valve. It realy hate to spend the money if that doesnt solve the problem.

310

I just fixed this same problem myself. Very simple. The car would not start after putting gas in. would just turn but not turn over until I gave it gas. I purchased a "purge solenoid valve" about $ 30.00. Remove the oil cap and engine cover. Behind the engine near top you'll see a line connecting down to a device that's bolted onto the engine. To remove the top connection you have to push sideways on a small plastic protrusion while pulling on the unit to release it from the catch lock. Do the same thing with the one attached directly to the valve on the right(driver's side). Now unbolt the valve and remove it. remove the lines from it and put them on the new valve. Bolt it back in and reconnect by pushing the small plastic sideways and insert into connection and release. Push on it lightly to make sure it is locked in place. And that's it--put the cover back on and screw the oil cap on. Here's a link that shows where the valve is. It's #2 on the drawing. http://www.2carpros.com/questions/suzuki-xl7-2007-suzuki-xl7-purge-solenoid-valve-location

30

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate these post. I having the same gas up and starting problem right now and I can't tell you how relief I am at least to get an idea of what could be going on. I have also being trying to avoid paying unnecessary diagnostics fees. After speaking to several part dealers and mechanics i was even more confused. Their answers range from bad gas, clean fuel system and even a mechanic told me to change my battery. I just couldn't see the relationship to the battery since otherwise the car starts normally.

70

I too have the same problem with my 2007 suzuki xl7 with 120,000 miles. I purchased it used and it has the restart issue when fueling as well. This is the only time it does this. If I pump the gas while turning the key it will start after 1 minute. Sometimes it sputters out if I was on empty. I changed the gas cap thinking it was a bad seal but that did not work. It also is making a rattle sound when I turn left while inclining ( not a click click sound ). :- /

70

There is a recall on certain vin#s of the 2007 xl7 for the fueling tank system. XL7 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP Recall number: 12V597000 Recall date: 12/20/2012 Problem Summary: AMERICAN SUZUKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 XL-7 VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, NEVADA, AND TEXAS; AND MANUFACTURED JUNE 13, 2006, THROUGH DECEMBER 22, 2006. SOME OF THESE VEHICLES HAVE A CONDITION IN WHICH THE PLASTIC SUPPLY OR RETURN PORT ON THE FUEL PUMP MODULE MAY CRACK, WHICH COULD CAUSE A FUEL LEAK. Consequence: FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY RESULT IN A FIRE.

145

This was a problem with my 2007. We think we have it fixed. It turned out there was moisture under the fuse box, and corrosion on many wires coming from it (including the fuel pump connection) . It took them 6 months, four visits, (one included a battery change), and two times sending a tow truck...finally they have it fixed they believe. Still waiting on it and have a loaner.

10

I have a 2003 Suzuki xl7 and I have a problem with the ignition switch. I have 162 miles. I would like to no if there was a recall for this problem

30

I have a 2007 XL7 and I've had some similar problems with this vehicle. My check engine light came on last year and the had to replace alot of things in my motor. My engine light came on again on 11/25/14, Now the Bently Hundai Suzuki is saying is my fuel purge. I purchased this vehicle brand new in 2007 and I got the extended warranty with it so I didn't have to pay for all that work on my motor. Of coarse now, I own it and it's going to cost me $235.00 to fix this fuel purge. I forgot to mention, when my gas needle gets to 1/4 tank, it quickly drops to empty and my fuel light starts dinging . If I stop and switch it off and restart, it goes back to 1/4 tank. I have only 85,586 miles on it. I'm ready to trade it while it still has some vaule, A $30K vehicle with all thes problems isn't worth the headache. We need to file a class action lawsuit against Suzuki for these LEMONS!!!!

30

have a 2007 XL7 and I've had some similar problems with this vehicle. My check engine light came on last year and the had to replace alot of things in my motor. My engine light came on again on 11/25/14, Now the Bently Hundai Suzuki is saying is my fuel purge. I purchased this vehicle brand new in 2007 and I got the extended warranty with it so I didn't have to pay for all that work on my motor. Of coarse now, I own it and it's going to cost me $235.00 to fix this fuel purge. I forgot to mention, when my gas needle gets to 1/4 tank, it quickly drops to empty and my fuel light starts dinging . If I stop and switch it off and restart, it goes back to 1/4 tank. I have only 85,586 miles on it. I'm ready to trade it while it still has some vaule, A $30K vehicle with all thes problems isn't worth the headache. We need to file a class action lawsuit against Suzuki for these LEMONS!!!!

10

Go with the purge solenoid replacement. Get the part number from rock auto. Then do a google search by part number. I got the $200+ part on ebay for $35. Watched a video for the repair on youtube to get the location and did the repair in 10 minutes. No problems since for over 1500 miles. I got several different codes including the purge valve at one point. None since I did the repair.

10

Also; very important. Do not over fill on fill ups. Once it clicks...you're done. Over filling only aggravates the problem.

10

Just got an 08 XL7 on Friday. I have got gas 3 times since and every time I have had the same problem with the vehicle not starting. I have an appointment tomorrow for the dealer to fix a few things and I will definitely mention the purge sensor. Has this worked for everybody else?

10

Replaced my purge valve/sensor recently & haven't had a problem since. Mine indicated the OBDII code,(sorry I don't recall what was) the part was expensive but I got the part number & googled it by part number. Found it on ebay for 1/3rd of autozone. Replaced it myself for less than $50.00. Also, don't fill your tank beyond the first click anymore.

10

mi suzuki xl7 2007 tenia el mismo problema desde hacia un ano....siempre que le ponia gasolina no prendia despues y si le ponia la gasolina prendido se apagaba ..ningun mecanico sabia con seguridad la causa..........por suerte encontre este sitio de opiniones....inmediatamente compre el Canister Purge Solenoid en 40 dolares y yo mismo lo cambie y en cuastion de 15 minutos quedo resuelto el problema de un ano...............aqui les dejo los link de las paginas web donde explica como cambiarlo y donde lo compre........ http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/CP569/02211.oap? year=2007&make=Suzuki&model=XL- 7&vi=1434294&ck=Search_solenoid+purge+valve+canister_1434294_ 638&keyword=solenoid+purge+valve+canister http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2015/07/2007-suzuki-xl7-p0496.html

20

The reason that the purge valve is the issue is because these parts have a tendency to stick in the closed position. This causes a vacuum in the gas tank. GM fuel pumps are notoriously weak. Because of this they can't supply adequate fuel to start the engine. What we all have to remember is that Suzuki has never been able to produce a reliable vehicle and that the xl7 is a chevy traverse rebadged. GM is currently making notoriously lousy vehicles because they keep cutting corners. I have been working on cars for over 30 years and have come to the decision that I will no longer buy american made vehicles because they are so bad. In fact I recommend that people buy Japanese vehicles like a Toyota or Honda. These each have very few needed repairs other than normal scheduled maintenance. E.G. oil changes, brakes, trans service, etc. In fact, in over 30 years Toyota has only had 1 junk engine, the 2.4 liter. This engine has an oiling issue in which the oil pump doesn't supply enough oil if you go too long between oil changes and the engine blows. They revamped the engine and created the 2.5 liter that does not share the same issue. However, since this became a known issue, Toyota has been working on the oiling issue and believes that they have the problem rectified. I personally believe that the issue was in that they made the oil chambers in which the oil is delivered were too small and the normal oil sludge at the bottom of your oil pan in any engine causes these lines to become clogged. In essence, a blown 2.4 liter because of the oiling issue is usually the car owners fault for improper maintenance. Any engine should be hot but not running before the oil is drained and the oil should be allowed to stop dripping completely, and the filter be off before the drain plug is reinstalled. This helps to eliminate the sludge at the bottom of the oil pan. I hope that this information helps.

Hi James, I was always told the Xl-7 was an Equinox, essentially. Are Equinox and Traverse both the GM versions? I ask this only because I have a very hard time finding any repair manuals for the 2007 Xl-7 and thought I'd look for the "equivalents" to use as a rough guide. Thanks, Dawn