Car stalls

Asked by Jul 18, 2015 at 05:05 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have a 2004 Chevy cavalier coupe. It worked fine
earlier in the day but when I went to go use the
car I got around the block and the car stalled with
the battery light on. It stalled two more times after
that.

14,705

The battery light will come on if the engine is not rotating fast enough to turn the alternator to produce the proper amount of amps and voltage to run the vehicle and charge the battery. If you stall or the engine RPMs drop very low, the alternator will not create enough electricity to keep the battery light off. When you come to a stop, does the engine slow down a lot? If so, have it tested to see if a sensor or other part of the car needs attention. Fuel, smog,/ cat/ or electronic sensors or computers may be the issue. We can't hook up your car over the internet yet to do a correct diagnostic test on it.

I got it checked out from two mechanics and it started for them fine. Today I can't even get it to start

14,705

My grandson's old Jeep had the same problem. Once it is started it will start every time. If it sits overnight, the same starting issues come up. I paid for a complete tune up, and the coil was found to be faulty. He had put in a new battery prior to this. His alternator belt also needed replacing due to it stretched past the adjustment limits. Take it back to the best station and see if they can test the battery, charging system and check the coil packs and plugs. Have them make sure the fuel system is pumping in fuel on cold start-ups or if there is a leak sending the fuel from the reservoir.