MPG for v8 94 discovery

Asked by Oct 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM about the 1994 Land Rover Discovery

got a discovery 1, gas guzzler, but I enjoy its performance off road.whats the MPG for this?and any fuel saving tips?greatly appreciate it..

85

My 97 gets 13-15 max. Fuel savings----really? Park it at the top of the hill and let it coast down, when it reaches the bottom, shut it off and leave it there. :)

NIce tip..but was more interested in modifications...13-15 huh,...dont think a v8 petrol could even reach that....how i wish., its just that in a middle of a trail, you cant gas up,unless you bring reserves.

2,935

If you can get a hold of a Jeep Cherokee they get better mpg and better performance. I have owned both 4x4s.

85

Yeah and if you can get a Prius you get real increases in mpg and more comfort. If you can get a Abrams tank you will get better off road performance. If you get a Ferrari, you will get better on-road performance. However, since this is a Land Rover Discovery forum and the question was about a Disco...... By the way. The best ways to increase the mileage on the Disco are: 1. Have two sets of tires. Road and Off-road, when on road with Road tires your gas mileage will increase up to 2 mpg. 2. Complete tune up (plugs, wires etc). 3. change the air filter after every dusty off road session or as required by manufacturer.

2,935

I had fun with my 88 Jeep. Bought it for a low cost and the parts were easy to find and not expensive also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o18PxzsC3sY I really liked my 98 Land Rover D1 LSE, but the gas mileage was terrible. It's funny that my BMW 4.0 Liter V8 (vs the LR 4.0 V8) has 100 more HP and it's 5 years older. ;) (00[][]00)

thanks jeff will do that...perfect....you have to live with what the discovery needs. but boy does it perform!!!just like my wife.HAHAHAHAHAHAH

5

i dare say your running the 3.9L ?, in saying that cant really tune these up as they are factory set, apart from air filter, petrol filter, pluggs, and leads but id up grade the dizzy, change out the petroll for the injected gas, change down to the 235x70x16 road tyre as a second set of tyres , get rid of anything thats not needed in the car to lighten the load, just a few things to think off cheers matt

65

I have a 96 5 spd. I consistently get 14-16mpg. I got 15.8 mpg on my last offroad trip. This is running a SD roofrack and 235-85/r16 tires, magnecore wires, NGK cheepo copper plugs and a purolater air filter, nothing special. I make sure to throw some seafoam/lucas fuel system cleaner into the tank every so often. I really notice a difference when the fuel system is dirty. OH, almost forgot. I have also changed the injectors to 14lb gen3 ford injectors, they have 4 spray orifices versus the stock ones which only had one.

25

my 1996 disco 3.9 v8 does 24 mpg at 60 -70 mph, in town it drops to 18 mpg. engine has 97 k on clock. rpm at 70 mph is 1800 and its auto. :) i can live with that. 380 miles on a tank of fuel.

got v8 4ltr runs on multi inj lpg but also dismantled the ecu so i could wire in a greedy sorry gredy ecu with a decent map run up on the test bed pruducing 550 bhp at the wheels on petrol and about 380 on the cheep stuff (lpg) but now with a sensible foot 17 mpg, with my heavy foot who cares but its fun doing power slides around roundabouts (thats pulling my 12ft 4 wheel trailer loaded,