turn off ignition key

Asked by Feb 05, 2014 at 11:46 PM about the 1997 Land Rover Discovery

Ignition key will not completely turn off so the key can be removed. Like it may not be sensing the auto trans. lever not in the park position?  3" lift , convert to diesel etc.

My Disco is a Disco 1. I found a video on line about a Disco 2. It was close enough to get the idea. I removed the covers (upper & lower) on the steering column. There is a white plastic block on the right side, size about 1" x .5" x ,5" held in place with 2 Philips screws pointing forward & accessed with a small right angle screw driver, with this removed the key may be turned off & removed. This is a solenoid that is operated with the shift lever in the park position. It had failed. One hour to find & get it out. GOOD LUCK!!!