Does anyone have instructions on removing the front door panels on a 2001 discovery?

25

Asked by Mar 01, 2011 at 12:57 PM about the 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

I need to adjust the door lock it wont open. Not a problem for the driver but the passanger door has no lock on the outside. If I leave it go long enough it will fix itself but it's a pain crawling across the front seat to let someone in.
Thanks in advance
Mike

75

There are 5 phillips head screws and several interior (what I call plastic push pins). The first one to take out is the screw on the interior door handle cover. Once you get the cover off, there are 4 screws around the lower pocket. One on each side and 2 on the bottom. From there I would start at the bottom and gently pry the panel off. The only other things that you have to deal with in taking it off are the lock rod sticking out the top and the speaker wires which just unplug. Installation is just in reverse!

When you take the panels off, you will notice the plastice fasteners that hold the panels on (if it is like my 1997 Discovery). I highly recommend that you get some clear silicone plumber's grease and apply it to the pins and plugs that fasten the panel to the door. You will like have to take the panels off numerous times, if you keep the vehicle long, and it greatly improves that task as well as saves the pins from tearing out of the panel. If you need new pins, BPUTAH.com has them at a reasonable price.