Porsche 944s pricing

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 11:15 AM about the 1987 Porsche 944

I'm interested in buying this 944S. Can someone tell me what questions to ask and what they feel about the pricing?

First and most important is a CARFAX

Then. Ask for all service records not shown on CARFAX. It will show how many owners, ever been wrecked, (and reported anyway) Then ask any teen age drivers with a heavy foot? Verify VIN on car with that on current insurance card, and if possible check if license plate matches VIN through DMV to make sure it's not stolen, that happens ...and if they can produce no service records for oil changes, All Dealers and many shops report to Carfax but some smaller ones don't, check the oil yourself and be sure it is clean. Kick the tires...meaning take a real close look at them and if in bad shape, negotiate money off on that. Drive it!! before you make a final deal, even if you traveled a long way ..does not drift/pull, hit brakes HARD

OK the only thing is I wonder why he says "opportunity for qualified restorer" What needs restoring? And nothing will change the fact the car is 27 years old. The price is about right, maybe a little tiny bit steep, not much if any, KBB does not go back to '87..I have heard those flip up headlights are notorious for failing, especially with that age. Do a search for a similar car here in used cars...compare. Good Luck!

I have been told only 1,000 were made and only about 500 made it to the USA. I own one and really enjoy driving it. Timing belt is a problem with this car I have had 2 go resulting in complete engine rebuild. Porsche paid for both. I understand they have a new upgrade that will solve this problem. Great car.

I've got an 83 with a 93 968 engine in it. Goes like hell. The belt problem was solved with the addition of a hydraulic tensioner and a slight wider belt. It's for sale, my autocrossing days are over.