Should I buy? Porsche 944

Asked by May 09, 2010 at 09:40 PM about the 1987 Porsche 944

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1987 Porsche 944, 43,600 miles, automatic, looks to be in excellent condition. The guy is asking 6,500. Is that reasonable? I'm hoping to get him down to 4,000 or 4,500 - but is that too low?  

The issue is I'm a college student, my father and I both have always loved Porsche, he has a 924.  When I told him about this, I thought he'd be happy, but he's against me buying it. I think because I'm a chick and he doesn't want to be obligated to fix it when things go wrong.  I know a little about cars, but certainly not enough to maintain an older Porsche. I understand they can be temperamental and it would be a second "summer" car, I have an already paid for reliable winter car.  

IS this a good deal? And if it is, how can I break through to my father? He should at least test drive it with me....  

Advise and suggestions appreciated. Thanks Guys.

135

944s are not temperamental. They're very well built and reliable. I would be more concerned with checking how the car has been maintained rather than the mileage and external condition. A car with such low mileage may need all seals/belts/hoses/fluids changed if it spent prolonged periods without being driven, and that can add up to a lot of money. If you don't change them, they will fail one by one and you won't have a reliable car. And automatic???? In my opinion that misses the point of this car. I have no idea about prices in the US, so cannot advise on that. Good lucj, Jeremy

255

$6500 for that car is way too much, even if it were a stick. Older automatic porsche are in general, worth next to nothing. Plus if you ever have trans problems, have fun finding parts. What the other guy mentioned about hoses, seals belts and all of that fun stuff I agree with. Also you need to find out when the water pump was last changed out. They tend to get a weep hole and seize up if you dont watch them. If they seize there goes the timing belt and you have a lot of bent valves on your hands. Also is this a 944 or 944S (the S has 16 valves and dual over head cams)? If it is the S, they have had some reliability issues from what I have heard. In particular you need to check the cam chain tensioner pads. If they go on the motor say good bye to the head and cams. They are rather expensive to replace assuming you can actually find replacements.

65

This guy has no clue what he is talking about, it is a little on the pricey side. It has very low miles, it will not be a winter car especially cause its automatic. Maybe around $5,000 but over that is alot of $$ for an 87.

65

very true, very true especially fluids diff and trans fluid. 944's are very well built cars, as well as most other Porsche's

105

I say Hear, hear, to the other repliants. I don´t know how difficulties are about finding a new automatic gearbox, otherwise it´s just to take the seller down to 4500. I think that is probably a reasonable level. 924´s are a bit cranky to maintain, but a 944 is a non-problem-car IF, it´s driven and not been tucked away in a barn for long time. Tell Your father to help You, it wouldn´t be fun if You got the car, and it break downs just because Your fathers lack of interest in helping You test it. Welcome to a wonderful world of motoring!

45

Buy it, its a porsche...$5000 no more...

40

I wouldn't buy it cuz it's automatic, period.

265

Depends on how much work it needs. Repairs can be very expensive. A 16 valve will bring $6,773 https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1332806

265

Also, you need to insure it for how much you have in it, not what you can sell it for.

1,720

These cars need 3 pedals on the floor to enjoy it. And never drive it a questionable timing belt, so look for maintenance records.

10

These cars take a tremendous amount of maintenance. Be careful. Motor mounts, flex plate, auto dampner, fuel pumps, timing belts. You will need a mechanic for big items and they are not cheap. Be prepared for something to break once a week. Not a 911

Okay u guys areally making me scared cause am about to buy one too

Are

1,720

These cars, when properly maintained, are bullet proof. I will say don't buy an automatic as they are dogs. My 83 is still on the original starter and fuel pump. Things have been replaced because of normal wear and tear such as a clutch, hoses, radiator and the rest of "normal" stuff. So if you buy one, make sure the timing belt is good and have it inspected by a Porsche shop (no dealers) for any issues. I love mine.

I found an 87 944s. Completely rebuilt with papers forn the shop. Engine trand and suspension. There asking 8 thousand. Very clean. I think they saud around 4000 miles or so. Havnt got to look at it completely but i do like it. Would 8 gs be to high even with the low miles?