1980 924 Turbo

165

Asked by Mar 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM about the 1980 Porsche 924

I am looking at buying a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo. It has 75k miles and a rebuilt turbo.
What should I look out for/check before I buy it?

165

UPDATE: I checked out the car - the odometer says 34,500 miles. Could it have reached 100,000 and rolled over? It blew blue smoke and idled at about 2200 rpm when started, but dropped down once it warmed up and was revved a bit. The turbo is indeed rebuilt, and is bigger than the original; it is actually from a 911 - the original burned out when the oil line feeding it got pinched. One of the fuel injectors is sticky, and causes the car to skip once in a while. There was a small amount of oil in the airbox - possible sign of bad rings? Transmission and clutch seem good - car moves fine. Unsure about handling - unable to take for road test. No obvious signs of oil or coolant leaks, and engine oil looked free of coolant. The car has been in an accident at one point (doesn't look like anything too severe). This is evident from the slight misalignment of the driver side headlamp cover in relation to the front intake panel (which has a few dents/bends on the bottom lip). I also noticed that the driver side sway bar connector is bent at the bottom threaded part (past where it goes into the A-arm). Due to the accident? Or was it caught on something while being driven? (it does stick low). The interior is in good condition; carpets are excellent, rear seats are perfect, driver seats have small splits, gear knob is missing H-pattern insert, shift boot is from a 911, oil press. gauge broken, small crack near defogger vents (in dash near windshield). Heater motor broken (controls still work), condition of heater core and AC compressor unknown (AC belt is missing). various bits of carpet and trim have come unglued. Sunroof doesn't leak, nor does the trunk or doors. Trunk shocks are shot. Paint chip near porsche badge on the front - small amount of surface rust here (no big deal). Dent in passenger side rear bumper (just below the taillight). Missing both headlights, unsure of condition of headlight motor. Has megnesium wheels (from the 928, I believe), one of which has a small chunk missing from the lip (due to an improperly installed/removed wheel weight {?}). Taking into account all that I have mentioned, is this car worth $2500? What would it cost to repair/replace parts?

40

Don't buy it. Too old. Tons wrong with it. Better off buying a newer one for 5000 or 6000 grand cuz that's what it'll be by the time you are done. It sounds like total trouble and headaches.