hot weather problems

Asked by Jul 05, 2011 at 10:15 PM about the 1974 Porsche 914

After driving our Porsche in hot weather (even for a few miles) we have to be sure to park on an incline because it will not start....It starts easily with a little push or downhill momentum...The engine has just been rebuilt - used to have a problem that we thought was vapor lock but it only happens in hot weather driving....Turn the ignition, get a click, battery output comes on but the car is silent....Oil is fresh, we use Supreme gasoline in it, battery is new....What the?/??????

Thank you
ladyd

dead battery or bad starter.

Well the battery goes dead real easily (even after sitting for just a few weeks and we always get a new one)...The starter has been replace 3 times and we just had a new engine installed in early 2011. Only occurs during REAL hot weather....

1,805

Check the earthing from the starter / engine to the battery, may be a bad connection. Measure the battery voltage when you're trying to started and when you aren't

Thank you Andy...Will check the earthing thing....The battery voltage is always high when starting and not....Thank you and keep thinking.... Dianne

sounds like their is a hot wire staying hot causeing the battery to go dead,do you have a aftermarket radio or something in it that is hooked to a hot fuse,staying on all the time.like the time display.

Thank you for this thought...We will check it out, too.... Dianne Would the clock do it? The radio still plays 8 tracks and I can't even hear the radio it is so static(ky)....Never turn it on....

yes,the clock,if on will.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!!!! Keep 'em comin' Dianne

a couple more,have the ground cable from battery to the point of the ground checked for tighness,have altonator checked,you said it was rebuilt,make sure the silver looking braded looking ground from firewall to engine is hooked up.make sure all wires hooked to starter is bolted tight.