Smooth idle for 2 min. then dies

Asked by Mar 21, 2009 at 09:54 PM about the 1974 Porsche 914

Smooth idle for 2 min. then dies. I have to wait 10 mins. then  the fuel pump will engage and the car will start. Is it a bad fuel pump or is the ECM heating up  causing the motor to quit??   
How do I access the wind shield motor to replace?

8,175

If the pump won't turn on it's likely the relay or the pump.... There is a panel you can unscrew near the fuse panel with the relays (They are round shaped)... I forget the order they are n there. Try switching the one for the fuel pump with the one for the headlights (assuming they work) in order to see if it's just a bad relay... Sorry can't say I've been able to work on mine in awhile and I forget where everything is.... I'd recommend you ask your question over at 914world.com or 914club.com.... Or both. You'll have a much better answer likely within an hour.