Car died while driving now won't start

Asked by Jan 29, 2016 at 05:57 AM about the 2006 Hyundai Elantra

My fiancee was driving our car it was starting to have a few over heating problems we realized within a week that there was a pin sized hole. Temp never got over 75 percent hot. One day it died while driving it it over heated and died. We let car cool down 2 hours added water went to crank it add it won't crank. Makes clicking noise when trying to crank. Mechanic said the motor is seized up. But I checked the crackshaft and it turns. What's wrong with it. There is no water in oil or anything else I can tell.

210

How did you check the crankshaft? Hopefully your starter seized and not the engine. You can always tap the starter while someone is turninf the key to crank. If it turns over its the starter.( sometimes this does not work) but worth a shot. How much water did you have to add when you added?

It used about a gallon. I've taped starter and nothing more happens

57,615

In rotating the crankshaft by hand, can you get 2 full revolutions with no hard spots (having to force it). Does it seem fairly smooth other than feeling the compression of the engine?

210

Well it was worth a shot. How easy did the crank turn?

Turned with no problem. I used socket to turn it. Is it possible the timing could have jumped?

57,615

Say Hec4570, suspect still something wrong with the starting system also.

210

Yes, that's what I getting at. Less obvious causes of overheating can include Incorrect ignition timing and/or a lean fuel mixture (which may be due to air leaks, low fuel pressure, etc.) can also elevate normal operating temperatures. An exhaust restriction (typically a clogged catalytic converter) can also make the engine work harder causing it to run hot.

210

I agree with Rowefast. Just please diagnose ( with home tips if no access to the right tools) before throwing parts at it. That can get expensive.

57,615

You need to get it to turn over with the starter to see where you are at. If that motor jumped time then it is done, It is an interference engine and valves and head would be messed up. This can be verified by a compression test. You would have low or no compression. Check battery connections, try to turn it over with the starter.

Mu dad said at one time it tried to crank

Sorry I meant my.

57,615

Keep at it. Try some jumper cables or a power pack.

Okay. If it's the motor how could I tell.

I'm a female by the way trying to fix this car and I have some idea but no man helping. My fiancee works out of town and isn't here and my dad is disabled.

57,615

Well, we haven't even touched on the overheating issue, and what damage that could have caused, you are going to have to get someone who knows what they are doing to see what is going on.