starting problem

Asked by Apr 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM about the 2007 GMC Canyon

it will start in the morning, but if i stop for gas ,it will not always start right up again, then i will have to wait awhile and it will start.

310

Yes I have the same problem every few months, if you notice on your dash next time there is a lock symbol over a car, if it blinks on and off this means your ignition is locked (it should be solid light when turning the key) I don't know what the fix is, but plan on letting it sit for 10 minutes (exactly) and it will start, the ignition re-sets after 10 minutes, I've been told its a common problem.

120

I have been dealing with this no start for over a year Now. And I think I figured it out. Haven't had the problem in over 3 months I quit using that cheap little remote door lock unlock Panic button thing that goes on your key ring. Must have something to do with some pass lock system on the truck. Simple has that. Please post a message if it works For you. Bill

I have been having the same problem with my truck. Is that supposed to be a manufacture problem. my truck also overheats. I have took my truck to the dealer where I bought it and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the truck. I have been taking it to mechanic was charge 475 and still have the same problem.

100

I have a 2004 Canyon 5cyl. same thing. Last night turned over but wouldn't start, in the morning Started right up !!! Pad lock was on steady this morning, Not sure if was blinking last night.

90

It is a glitch in the security system. They do not know what it is and have been aware of it for years with both the Chev. Colorado and the GMC Canions. Something sends a mixed signal that the truck has been broken into so the ignition system shuts it down so that it can not be stolen. Well at not for 10 to 20 minutes. Do not understand why there has not been a recall or fix found yet.

10

Filed complaint months ago, Gm corp says it is not under warranty and what to start swapping part at a few hundred dollars a poop and will not guarantee it will fix issue, Was told I will get the 'discounted' price in writting, but have yet to get anything for a few weeks now.

20

I have a GMC Canyon few days ago the engine light came ON. Next day took it to the shop the engine light is not on anymore and they couldn't find anything wrong. Following day the truck won't start at all. All the lights come on but it just doesn't want to start. Still in the shop and can't find the issue. Has anyone had this problem?

Yes i'm having the same problem with my 2007 Gmc canyon. I took the truck to the shop and they don't know what's wrong with it. I don't know what to do!?

GMC needs to recall these trucks who are having starting problem with the pass lock. Have to wait 10 minutes before starting again. It will start some times and others no will not start. Very discussing. Next time buy a toyota.

have 08 gmc canyon crew cab 4x4, would not start ,tryed too jump no go ,battery good,

40

My '05 Canyon started its no-start thing a few weeks ago and has now stranded me 3 times. Based on my research, this seems to be an issue with the Colorados and Canyons. It also looks like GM is aware of the problem but doesn't seem to give a damn. Pretty pathetic customer service GM! Considering trading my unreliable Canyon in on a Toyota or Honda.

20

Having the same starting issues with my 2011 canyon. I have not had any problems until recently. I can wait 10 min and start. GM doesn't seem concerned.

40

Saw a thing on YouTube (can't remember the poster's name to give him credit) but my truck has started 100% of the time since I started using his trick. With the door open, put your key in the ignition and let the chime ring a few times. Then turn the key on (don't try to start it) and let the chime ring again. Watch your dash lights - when the chime stops, part of your dash lights will go off. At that time, start your vehicle. I thought "Nah, can't be that simple" but it's worked every time so far.

10

Just started my 2009 Canyon this morning with same trick. Thanks a lot

10

Same problem here. Every 6 mos. It happens then this month 4 times. Great truck 07 canyon. But can't do it anymore. Going to sell it. GMC you need to fix this problem. RECALL....

40

Yes, GM needs to address this as it also affects many other GM vehicles as well. There was the initial PassKey anti-theft system (which our trucks seem to have) which evolved into PassKey 2 and 3. The one thing they all have in common is that the anti-theft components suck and at some point in time, begin failing. I ordered a device from NewRockies that is supposed to bypass the 3 major components of the PassKey anti-theft system. I'll try and post an update after I've installed the device.

M

My 2007gmc canyon has been giving me problems as well. After reading all of your related issues, I decided to not use the keyless entry and to use only the key. Upon trying to unlock doors the key would not turn at all. So I used my secondary key, it worked. After 10 years of using same key it has smoothed out, literally. Secondary key works no problems, starting and all. Original key is so wore that entry doesn't work, and to start I find I was moving key a little as I tried to get truck to start. So I am going to see if using only key to unlock,lock, and start will solve my issues. Going to get remote starter after 1st of year, so hopefully I'll bypass any more problems by eliminating factory's keyless entry.