on 2005 equinox abs keeps trying to cut on and abs light comes on...what might be the cause and remedy??

40

Asked by Sep 19, 2010 at 02:11 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox

Sometimes when brake pedal is depressed the ABS systems tries to engage.....there is a slight vibraton in brake pedal as this happens.  The light sometimes comes on after this and sometimes later.
When the ignition is switched off and then back on.....the light goes off until this happens again.   There are times when you here and feel the vibration but the abs light may not come on.

115

any recent brake work?? you may need to bleed the lines.

160

One issue that can arise is the wheel sensor(s). These are part-of the (frt) bearings and have a wire routed to a bracket and plugged into the ABS/TC (traction control). I have seen the bracket rust off and the wire just hanging (shorting). Also as the bearing wears, the sensor can break or act-up. This is not the only answer but all 4 wheels have sensors that detect wheel speed. When the wheel speed is not accurate, the ABS thinks the wheel is slipping or locking. Cleaning and inspection, proper support of the wiring and plugs on all 4 wheels. Usually the frt bearings are worn on high mile vehicles are changed in sets (some bearings fail early so that is a judgment call). Also, normal checks like brake fluid, (braking system), wiring and others like human error from other work performed are very important when dealing w/ these saftey issues.

160

ALSO - Equinox are seperate wheel sensors per wheel (not part of the bearing). Remove the screw and unplug from the hub to clean and inspect. Check bearings for rough operation.

200

What is the part number of the wire that you are talking about that runs from the speed sensor connection and up under the plastic cover and plugs into the another female connection! the wire is three ft long and has male connections on both ends? Thanks for the help!! Mason

40

This problem has been identified and fixed. The left rear sensor was bad. Replaced and working fine.