Check engine light

Asked by Jul 11, 2010 at 06:59 PM about the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I have a 2007 PR Cruiser with 36,000 miles on it.  The check engine light came on; I tightened the gas cap, and it went off.  This happened more than once, replaced the gas cap, that didn't help.  Now the check engine light is on permanently, the car "bucks" and misses when I begin driving - that kicks in at 4000 rpm.  After several miles, if I give it gas lightly, the car begins running smoothly.  The check engine light is staying on.  It almost seems like a vapor lock when it's misbehaving.  Anyone know what's causing this?

120

The check engine light is truly an idiot light that once tripped stays on for a set period. When you replaced the cap it could have just timed out. Gas cap loose is only one source though and would not cause the engine to misfire. When the light blinks it is multiple trips and the source is repeating the trigger. When the engine misfires you have an electrical issue that the ignition computer cannot accommodate. If you are lucky the On Board Diagnostics may indicate the specific sensor that is failing. Try hooking up an OBD reader and see. Prime suspect would be the upstream Oxygen or Cam sensor.

change your fuel filter and have your fuel pressure checked,you could also have a bad coil pac.

130

papa, Change fuel filter? Doesn't that require removing the gas tank in a PT? I would like to change mine, but am daunted by the prospect.

NO,their is a sock filter that hooks to the FP in tank,the fuel filter is located above or at back of tank,some are under rear bumper cover.

130

Well, well ... and the Stealership told me they had to remove the fuel tank. Why am I not surprised?

80

here is a question not an answer. my 2003 pt turbo cruiser has the check engine light flashing . when I tried the 3x on/off on/off on/off that was posted it did not bring up any error code where the trip odometer is. should this little helpful trick work on a 2003 model OR does this only work on newer models?? any feedback is great. thank you.

245

get the trouble codes by turning the ignition switch on and off, on-off, on-off this will give you codes. The code i get most often and gives me simular trouble is #0139 and #0138 which are the oxygen sensors upper and lower. also check your electric fan at the radiator if the car is running hot it can give you the same problem. at 36.000 it is still under warranty and if it is the O2 sensors they are covered til 70,000

70

I HAVE AN 07 PT CRUISER. I PUT A MOTOR IN IT AND NOW IT BUCKS ENGINE LIGHT ONY COME ON UPON THE BUCKING. CODE READ COIL, I CHANGE IT, CODE SAID CAM SENSOR I CHANGED IT. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO WITH IT.

70

please help

40

Take it to Auto Zone and have it put on the computer. This will give you a diagnosis: an actual starting point. Sounds like oxygen sensors to me. The engine light won't go off until you have driven it approx 50 miles. Also check freon in AC for engine light.

110

I have PR Cruiser 2006. With 208km. Engine lights is on. Can drive it at least 4-5 km to the mechanic

110

PT cruiser i mean

30

I have 2006 pt cruiser that won't change from first gear. It only changes gears when check engine lights goes off. And sometimes even if check engine is on it changes gears. Can you help

20

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser GT convertible that I just bought. I am chasing a P1189 code. (Inlet Air Pressure Sensor Circuit Low- Innove 3150d scan tool). I found that my MAP, TIP, and ATC sensor are working properly, but this code does not indicate any of these sensors. I am finding mixed definitions for this code. another one was OPS low signal. Anybody out there that can help me?

are there any teachers this year at 1505 South Brown

30

I have a PT Cruiser 2004 Turbo that just got a new radiator and thermostat. I brought it home and then started it up a few days later. It drove for about 5 minutes, I felt a shift in the gear (it's an automatic) and now it only drives in idle mode (about 2 mph). I was good enough to get home but now I'm stranded again. The mechanic says one of the hoses could have come off. Does this make sense that if a hose came off that the car would completely stop working? No error codes popped up and if I turn it on, it starts. Any ideas? I've spent so much money on it and its only a 2004 PT with 114,000 miles. I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to drive it off a cliff. Please help :)

My 2004 pt cruiser loses power going up hill . almost all power .check engine light blinking going up hill and it just stays on after hill . will die at complete stop .please help only way to work

I have a 2006 pt cruise touring GT the engine light and trakshen control comes on and the transmission will not change but sometimes when the light is out its good anyone no why its doing that