Drained battery

10

Asked by Feb 10, 2010 at 08:53 AM about the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser

During the past year on at least 20 occasions the battery has been drained of power completely when i go to start it. There are no ignition lights at all. I have taken off the battery and charged it, but within 1-2 weeks it will be drained again. Chrysler techs have tested and found no faults, the battery and alternator are fine and no lose earth points.
Has anyone else had this problem?

45

Do you have a subwoofer for your audio system? If so, there may be a problem with the way it was wired. I read that in earlier PT's that in some cases wiring was to the unswitched power so essentially the subwoofer is always on thus draining the battery.

120

I seem to have the same problem I dont have a sub woofer, either I got a new battery as the old one was a bit sluggish, but the same thing has happened but even quicker now (over night) I am going to do a few checks on the fuses to find out if there is a drain on it (going to pull each fuse) I'll post here and let you know how I get on

10

No i dont have a subwoofer. Thanks pepsi666, touchwood mines been ok since the last time it was taken into the garage, even though they didnt find a problem, but still havent got to the bottom of the problem. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

120

Mine has been sorted now as well, apparently it was a wife beneath the jump lead point that was shorting out and draining the battery, I have no idea whyt it should suddenly start, that has been connected soince I bought the car It controls my custom horn, guess I'll have to do without them now

190

Not a question but a answer to pt cruiser parasitic drain that I had... Similar story , replace battery twice, replaced alt as well, check fog lights,checked multi switch . All dead ends. Then traced the problem to a ignition switch. Problem was intermittent so it took a while . Replaced the ignition switch and the problem is solved ... Now I want to share the news.

30

Hi Coljpt, Mine was draining every few days, then every day and now I need to start it every few hours. The driver seat stopped working so I disconnected it underneath, I unplugged my iPhone car charger and replaced the battery. It seems to be draining faster each day! How can I check the ignition switch? Do you think it has anything to do with the seat not working? Namaste, GoldiB

30

Answer you and aot of other chrysler car owners have the same problem just every car is assigned a different problem stimming from your electrical system. Because every cars problems are all connected to the electrical system and Chrysler will only hear from a consumer using their mechanics at their dealership Chrysler will not fix a known issue since 2001, and because every car develops different starts to fix electrical issues NO RECALL wll ever be made, they will continue to use the same electrical systems because repairs are costly, Well game over. Take your Chrysler products to your dealership or do it yourself. Put a KILL SWITCH on your battery, no more issues as long as you turn the kill switch on to go off when you are at your destination...saves alot of money....

5

Thanks for the information here, I have been having the same problem and I call O'Reilly where I bought the battery and they hate to see me coming. They say well all batteries are the same. But reading this info above I am having the same darn problems. I have no woofers or anything fancy hooked up to my car. PT Cruiser.. Well time to start looking for something better this is annoying instead of buying a battery I am going to just buy a charger for now. Damn so ghetto.. Oh well. Guess Chrysler is to cheap to RECALL...social media spreads like wild fire I will pass these posts along~ UG