How do i charge the battery in my 2005 cobalt?

Asked by Sep 11, 2016 at 11:15 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

the car sat forever months.  AAA jumped started and started right away. I left
the car running for about a half hour than turned it off. It has been run in about
2 weeks and will not start  I would like to charge the battery  Do I do that from
the remote posts under the hood?

24,785

No, the battery is in the trunk. http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/maintenance/17425-how-change-battery-your-cobalt.html

67,285

Replace the battery. Since the car sits a lot, disconnect the negative (-) battery cable when you park it and you know that it'll be sitting for awhile. This way the new battery won't get run down. HTH. -Jim

24,785

I misread your question OP - I thought you wrote "I would like to CHANGE the battery" instead of CHARGE. To reanswer your Q, YES, you can charge the battery from the remote terminals under the hood. A trickle charger will do the trick. In fact if you plan to leave car in storage for a long period you can get a simple trickle charger designed for long-term parking to keep battery charged.

Best Answer
94,925

Ken is right on this one, use what they call a float charger when th car is sitting, late model vehicles do not respond well to complete loss of power to the computer control systems, I have seen so cases of when a battery was replaced that none of the accessories would work and had to takes to a dealer to have the system reflashed.

3,915

If its the original battery it is due for replacement. They only last about 5 years. If its going dead that quickly after having been run its worn out and the problem will only get worse. Charging it is fine, but will likely not solve your problem.

Thank you for your help! I connected the battery charger to the remote terminals and was able to recharge the battery successfully. From now on, I will run the car regularly to avoid this happening again!!!