i have a five speed cavalier that the clutch pedal wont go but halfway to the floor preventing it to not be able to shift in gear.

Asked by Jun 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

bleed the slave cylinder---replace the clutch cylinder---if necessary replace the slave cylinder---spend a weekend honing and replacing seals on the ones you have with a rebuilding kit...those are your most of your available options....take it or leave them~ clearly the hydraulics have lost their integrity---and the level has dropped...did you check the level?

Best Answer

If nothing is physically obstructing the linkage, the pressure plate is not being pushed by the throwout bearing. Or the pressure plate its self is broken and the springs won't compress. I would thoroughly inspect all linkage for broken parts that may be binding up, everything you can see. If all looks good, it's internal.

Oops, it's hydraulic. Thank You Judge for setting me straight. That is a far better answer than mine.

you're right H25, could be a ball fork or pivot cracked and out of position~that had not occurred to me~ I've seen cracked bell housings that let the pivots free~

theres not really any linkage to the tranny. except from the clutch pedal to hyd. resevoir. i might try and crawl under the dash next time it happens.

Right, H25 and I are keenly aware...the hydraulic slave cylinder pushes on a moment arm that pushes on the clutch...we were speculating that stuff what the "slave" cylinder pushes on has broken loose...but sounds okay..then~!

take it you topped off the fluid...bubbles happened and all went okay then...for now~

The clutch cable broke

Mary Greaves Graham

Idk im new to this but i changed my slave cylinder, bleed it n now the pedal goes to floor n my shifter does does not go into gear after i start the engine, maybe this cud be the cause???