I need to know if it's worth having my car fixed since the timing chain has broken?

Asked by Oct 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

Unfortunately, the current economy has been very tough for me...I need to find a reliable inexpensive mechanic who will allow me to make payments to them for the repair. I live paycheck to paycheck as it is but I need my wheels! I have problems walking so even a half mile walk to the closest bus stop is not an option for me. I am in the process of trying to get a part time job and this happens...grrrrrrrr!!

485

For that year possibly, depends if it damage any internal engine componets. Theres a good chance that it bent the valves or damage the pistons. Which would require alot of labor and money to fix. If that is true i would sell it as is and get somthing else if you dont have any money to spare. Thanks Rob

15

the fix for a timing chain is so cheap and you can do it yourself in 2-3 hours first i would just replace the timing chain and see what happens.

Thanks for your response Rob. I had it towed to a recommended shop on Thursday and should find out tomorrow what the good news/bad news is. The owner said it didn't sound like a timing chain problem to her but wouldn't know until they tore into it to be able to find out.

Well, apparently not that cheap with the little bit of research that I had done. The biggest negative point to me was that the part is only obtainable through a dealership. (verified that with several parts supply places). Also, I'm not a mechanic or mechanically inclined or I'd have already torn into it on my own!

85

tough break man, I have an '02 cavalier and the same thing happened to me. The only suggestion that I could give you for something like that is never take it to the dealership, take it to a privately owned garage like for example, I took mine to Freedom Lube. I hope you don't part it out for it is a very reliable car. It only cost me less than $650 and they included a free oil change and engine flush.

30

If you were driving when it broke it probably did damage. If It happened when you went to start it the car can be easily fixed.

60

hi i have a 2002 pontiac sunfire was driving it and it acted like it went into nutreal then it wouldnt move the timing chain broke but how do i tell if the valves bent in motor

20

Well i have a 2003 cavalier. Its been in 2 different shops for 11 days. The first had it for a week and couldnt figure out the problem. So i took it to the dealer. They looked at it 3 days and still had to call tech support to finally get an answer. A broke timing chain. Parts, labor and all its gonna cost me about $1,000. He said since it broke there and not while i was out driving it the valves are most likely ok. Not happy about the cost but what can i do.....

I have a 02 cavalier. It started fine and was going down the road a few miles. The car stalled followed with a weird noise. I can only relate to when I start the car up. After research I should've know the chain was giving out. I determined it was the timing chain because all the gauges turn on, battery is good, fuel pump is good, fuel filter good, injectors good and spark plugs are good. Have no codes coming up. I can only try and remember back when it stalled and it sound like a chain (only thing I can compare it to).