Headlights coming back on once car is parked and off.

10

Asked by May 18, 2015 at 02:39 PM about the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

My 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix headlights turn back on after parking the car.  They will be
off as normal, then sometimes (Minutes or even hours later) when I look outside the lights
are on.  This car has the "auto" feature for the headlights but no "off" on it.  What could
cause this issue?

2,935

Try turning off the exterior lighting delay and the remote lock feedback in the Personal Programming Mode on the DIC (Driver Information Center) above the radio.

2,935

PERSONAL PROGRAMMING MODE: This menu allows you to customize several features on your vehicle. These adjustments can only be made while the vehicle is in PARK (P). Press the set/reset button to display the first screen. Personal Programming Mode Screens Press the options button to access these modes: EXTERIOR LIGHTING DELAY: This screen allows this feature to be turned off or allows the selection of the number of seconds the headlamps, sidelamps, taillamps, fog lamps, and back-up lamps are turned on after the key is removed from the ignition, or the vehicle is unlocked using the remote keyless entry transmitter. If OFF is selected, the exterior lamps will not turn on. If a time delay is chosen, the lamps will turn on for the selected time. The time delay will be cancelled and the exterior lamps will turn on automatically when the key is removed from the ignition, or the vehicle is unlocked using the remote keyless entry transmitter. To program this mode, use the following procedure: 1. Press and release the set/reset button to scroll to the selection to be programmed. Choose from OFF, 15, 30, 60, or 90 seconds. 2. Press the options button again to advance to the next screen. REMOTE LOCKS FEEDBACK: This screen allows selection for this option to be turned OFF, or gives the choice of two methods of verification; LIGHTS or LIGHTS and HORN; that indicate the vehicle’s doors are locked when the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed. If OFF is selected, this feature will not be programmed. If LIGHTS is selected, the exterior lamps will flash when the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed. If LIGHTS and HORN are selected, the exterior lamps will flash when the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed and the horn will sound when the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed again within five seconds of the previous command. To program this mode, use the following procedure: 1. Press the set/reset button to scroll to OFF, LIGHTS, or LIGHTS and HORN. 2. Press the options button again to advance to the next screen.

10

I'm having the same problem with she same car. Turning off exterior light delay did not work for me. Any other ideas?

10

Update: This is actually a recall on this model. I took it in to a dealership, they replaced a part (apologies for not know the part name) and said they will contact me when the permanent replacement part is developed. No cost at all to me. They put in the same factory part that goes out or bad with a warning that it could happen again. I've sold the car as a trade-in 4 months ago so I don't know if the new part has been developed yet.

10

Thanks a bunch for that info. I'll look into it.

30

My lights would randomly turn on after I walked away from my car. I made sure to check lights were off before I walked in to work, only to come out and have a dead battery waiting for me. I followed another post in a Pontiac forum and replaced the HDM low beam relay that is in slot #35 in my 2007 grand prix fuse box under the hood on the left side of the engine. It was part # ar6100 at Napa. Cost me $48.00. So far it is working.

Yardmuffin im having the same problem. Could you email me mrfanion@yahoo.com and let me know your outcome on anything you try. Very frustrating and cant seem to get an actual fix to it just assumtions. Thank you

Thank you for posting this. I called the local GM dealer today; there's actually two recalls for 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix: one is the low beam headlamp relay; the other is the ignition. If you have the same make and model, you may want to check into this. I scheduled an appt. today. I'll let you know if the recall fix resolved the headlamp issues.