Installed HEI Distributor and wires runs sluggish

10

Asked by Aug 23, 2016 at 10:54 PM about the 1973 Pontiac Le Mans

I had 2 different car guys help me with install. 1
with removal of old points distributor dial in timing
and wires the other with digital timing light and
tweaking. Car still accelerating badly. Has anyone
experienced this?

62,115

Sounds like you may need to tweek and advance the timming a little more.

10

Right now it's set at 12° recommended in Haynes manual. My another friend of mine said throw away the timing light and get a more crisp responsive accelerating rate by playing with distributor. When said and done I will probably be at 8-10 degrees

62,115

Agree,tweek/turn distributor up,

10

Ok. Thanks I will try it. Vacuum advance bumps into intake is one problem though when turning clockwise. Pontiac motor firing order is counter clockwise.

62,895

Sounds like the accelerator pump in the carburetor is bad. HTH. -Jim

10

I got a local mechanics thought and he said make sure you have 12 volts at distributor. If you have less than thats why. I checked and only have 6 or 7

62,895

You should ONLY have 12 volts at the distributor when cranking! 6 or 7 volts with the ignition in the run position is NORMAL! There's a resistor in the power wire going to the ignition coil. It's there to drop the voltage so the ignition coil doesn't burn out prematurely! HTH. - Jim

10

I removed old distributor. Coil is built in to new HEI distributor. Removed resistor wire from starter said per manufacturer. Installed a HEI 850007 blueprinted distributor.

10

Thanks for help guys. The new HEI distributor was bad. Got a new distributor. Now I'm dealing with a vacuum leak in hoses and intake manifold.