I have a 1972 Pontiac lemans luxery with a 400. On the manual it states it is a lemans luxery gto ?Is this right?

Asked by Mar 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM about the 1972 Pontiac Le Mans

10

The Tempest, Lemans, and GTO, are all sister cars. The trim package determins the model. The Tempest is the plain jane, the Lemanshas some of the trim, while the Goat has all the bells and whistles. A sure fire way to tell is to look on the title.

35

A little correction is in order...I own a '63 LeMans and I have gained a ton of knowledge on these Pontiac's. The Tempest is the "Base" model from '61-'62, in '63 they became a car all their own. Now for further correction. The "LeMans" has the full "works" when it comes to "Bling/Chrome" package, and on the other hand the "goat" GTO, does not, it actually has less bling and options in the early years (1964 was the 1st year for the GTO) it was produced more so for performance and many did not have such items as in radio, air conditioning...etc. Oh and also..."look on the title" ??? there are not many titles in most States that show you "options"...it is on a "build sheet" or the factory "window sticker". I could go on, but that would take awhile, hopfully did not offend anyone, but like I said, I've researched Pontiac's for years, and I'm 48, not a newbie to the classic car scene. My 2 cents, Mark

2,995

from 1966 to 1971 the gto was its own name with its own vin # 1972 it went back to how it started , an option on the lemans body, luxury lemans was also an option that same year and i believe you could not order both at the same time.

the title has nothing to do with what the car as ordered with ,all that states is who owns the car nothing else. Because of insurance regulations , the lemans was hooked up like a GTO but they couldn't call it that,so they called it a luxury lemans or sport lemans. either way you still have a lemans. you can find out more about your car from phs-online.com. check it out.

5,035

For 1972, you could order a Luxery Lemans hardtop with a GTO option. The 400CID engine was available in a 2BBL or 4 BBL configuration. For more info, check out some internet sites like "oldride.com" or "wikipedia" and search for 1972 Lemans info.