I have oily fluid dripping from bottom of driver side dash, just below the steering column area?

15

Asked by Sep 05, 2015 at 03:44 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

27,795

does it have a mech.oil pressure gauge in it?

Best Answer Mark helpful

On a 1971 first thought is brake fluid. Have a look at master cylinder, could be leaking and running inside car

Yeah, that's a better answer than mine, if it does, the oil is actually sent to the gauge behind the dash in a copper tube

15

Thanks guy's , I am new to site and was unable t to respond by email. I think I saw where Kelly said there is an oil line running along the bottom of the dash that goes to the gage?

IF it has an oil pressure gauge, in the '70's what they did was not use a bunch of electronic crap and simply hook up a copper line to the engine, and that actually had oil in it, to 'tell' the gauge how much oil pressure the was at any given time. Personally I think it's better that what the manufacturers use now -- In 1971 a direct line to gauge, no bs, just oil from engine to gauge and a true, accurate, read. I don't know where it is... the copper tube, and can't speak for Kelly so I don't know what he said. But it must come from engine, through firewall, then up in to instrument cluster - the gauge

15

Thanks FordNut I appreciate the help! I track it down, sounds like that's what the problem is.