1971 pontiac lemans automatic transmission shifting rough

20

Asked by Aug 29, 2015 at 08:17 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

Hello, I own a 1971 Pontiac Lemans 350 with auto transmission, the car has 85K and is in great shape and only used occasionally. As off late, when accelerating from a stop the transmission  has not been shifting from low to the next position, it feels like its stuck in low then it will slide into gear , it doesn't bang or clunk into gear it just is delayed then slides in. This has just started to happen in the last couple of days and never before. Any ideas, thanks.

18,840

No promises but you can try Lucas Transmission Fix Stops Slip. I have used some of there other products and they have really worked.

104,225

Drain the entire system, new filter and fuild, then add some lucas, it could be a cheap easy fix...

Best Answer
104,225

I gsve a 61 Comet and I know its expensive to do a tranny...Good Luck...

20

Not a question, just the solution to the transmission troubles on my 1971 Pontiac Lemans, After changing the fluids and filter and still having the same shifting problems and not looking forward to a expensive rebuild I got lucky and found a torn rubber hose on the modulator valve on the rear of the transmission. Hoping this would be the problem I replaced the hose and took the car out for a test ride and there was no change in the shifting. I then bought a new $14.00 modulator valve at NAPA and put it in with the new hose provided and the transmission runs like new. Hope this helps anyone out there with a tranny shifting problem, its worth a shot.