1971 Pontiac 350 2 barrel hard to start once started and warmed up starts no problem what is going on1971 pontiac 350 to barrel hard to start what's started ward up starts no problem what is going on

Asked by Jun 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

55

The 2 things I look at first are fuel and spark. Since this car is pretty old, I would look to make sure the fuel pump is providing enough gas to the carb. If so, then buy a rebuild kit for the 2 barrel which is pretty simple if you have any mechanical abilities. I would also look at the distributor, points, and condenser. If they haven't been changed in awhile, just buy new along with a new distributor cap, rotor and while you are at it you might as well get some new spark plugs and wires. Those are the simple things to do. If this motor has a lot of miles on it, maybe the cylinder compression is low. If this is the case you probably would have noticed a decrease in power and it would use oil or even show signs of smoke out the exhaust. It could be lots of things, but start with the simple and inexpensive things first. Good luck.

thank you everything is new unilike distributor 50,000 volt coil motor rebuilt carburetor rebuilt new plugs cap rotor etc would appreciate any other information you could give me thank you very muchthank you everything is new you like your stripper 15,000 volvo motor rebuild carburetor rebuild plugs cap motor utc would appreciate any other information you could give me thank you very much

78,375

Make sure the choke is adjusted properly, when cold it should snap shut when you do the initial first step on the gas pedal before you crank the engine over, then pull a vacuum on the choke pull off and adjust it to about the width of an 1/8 inch drill bit, and that should do it.

Best Answer
545

Yes, I would check the choke, and the timing as well. You can loosen and turn the distributor just a bit if you lack a timing light.