I have a 1971 Pontiac Lemans which when I turn the wipers on, both directional indicators on the dashboard light. While this is happening, the turn signals and hazard lights all work properly, just the dashboard arrows light. Does anyone know why?

55

Asked by Feb 16, 2015 at 06:24 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

74,215

It's a bad ground at the instrument cluster. If you have an aftermarket radio in there that's most likely the problem. My '70 Catalina did the same thing. The radio bracket was a ground strap for the instrument cluster. You're cluster is different than mine was but the ground issue is still the same. Be sure all the brackets behind the cluster are attached and screwed to the back of the cluster. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

Thank you. I won't be able to try it for a bit, got a bunch of snow and can't at the car now! Your answer makes a lot of sense, the car came with after-market radio, missing radio bracket, a couple tapped wires, etc.

74,215

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, California probably has a reprint of your original factory shop manual. I bought one for my '70 Catalina from them. They're reasonably priced and have a website. -Jim

55

Thank you!

74,215

You're welcome. Glad to help. Best of luck with your LeMans. -Jim