1971 lemans and have water dripping down from the top of the windsheild at the lace. all window mouldings and surfaces around the windshield look fine

55

Asked by Oct 02, 2014 at 10:44 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

Lace is comimg away a bit too its been doing this for a
while I'm sure.  I have not removed any window moulding
as I' afraid of what I'll find!  Thanks for any help!

100,345

A friend of mine had one of these cars with the same problem, every time it rained or he washed it the windshield leaked, he tried some of the stuff that was out at the time for windshield leaks but nothing worked, he finally took it to a glass shop, they took out the windshield with the intent of just a reseal job but found that the glass was not made right and had a slight dip right in the middle on the top edge so the sealer would never seal it, they said that it must have been like that from the factory, but he didn't know as he bought it used, so he bit the bullet and had the glass replaced and no more leak. It's a story I know but you will have to go to a glass shop to have it resealed at the least. Hope the windshield opening panels aren't rusted through, it is a 71 you never know.

5,195

Even if you find rust, removing the windshield is the right thing to do. If rust is found, it is repairable and repairing it now will prolong the life of this classic. Find a reputable repair shop and get them to pull the glass and fix it. Rear windows on these cars are also a problem. You might have yours checked and fixed if rusty as well.

55

Thanks for the responses. I started simple and got lucky. I taped off paint and trim, fill the crack with some permatex clear windsheild sealer, all the water, and you can hardly see the sealer.