1971 Pontiac Lemans

Asked by Jun 26, 2014 at 09:12 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

I have a Pontiac Lemans Sport convertible that the paperwork indicates that it is a 1971,
however the grille is that of a 1970. What could be the reason for this

Most likely the front clip was replaced, at some point, due to an accident. HTH. -Jim

Lemans front end trim isn't easy to find - GTO trim is being reproduced however. If you want to restore the car try Franks Auto Parts for original pieces. I don't think the three big repro suppliers (Ames, Performance Years, OPGI) have the 71 Lemans grilles. BTW if you have the chrome 70 front bumper/grille - it's worth selling and getting the right front. end. Those '70 chrome beasts are getting hard to find. I believe the fenders and mounting points are identical for 70 and 71, so it's a bolt-up project.

Could be the original was replaced with the '70 because an original could not be found to match one that was destroyed. In '71 you could order a GTO grille and hood as options on the LeMans Sport (I know because my family had two of them). If the car suffered front end damage, they might of replaced the hood and grill cowling with a standard '70 version. I always liked their looks with the GTO front end.