Headers for a 1965 Pontiac LeMans

10

Asked by Sep 11, 2013 at 05:08 PM about the 1965 Pontiac Le Mans

I'm looking for a direct fit pair of headers for a 65 lemans that will not interfere with the Z bar for the clutch !  I can either fabricate the ones I have now or go to ram air lll exhaust manifolds or maybe even a hydraulic clutch . Any info will be appreciated ! Thanks .

4,305

Dougs Headers are the only ones. That said, do yourself a huge favor: get the aftermarket RA3 manifolds. They produce almost the same HP at all RPM below 4000, and negligible difference above that. Bolt on is easy, no heat under your feet, no struggling with motor mounts or fender well clearances, and you maintain full ground clearance as well. Get a set of Pypes and the car will sound terrific. Good luck!

10

Thanks Norm. I was leaning more towards the RA3 manifolds . I found a company on ebay that sells them new . I won't buy used ones because they were prone to cracking . These are guarantied not to crack & they are lighter than most other after market manifolds . The headers are a pain in the ass , I had to lift the engine to get the starter in , I had to relocate the oil filter & then all the hassle of the interference with the clutch linkage , So yes, I guess I'll go with the ra3. I'm a little ahead of you with the Pypes set up! I have the X set with caddy mufflers & electric cutouts with down pipes . that are just in front of the rear tires & the tail pipes go out the back. It's a nice set up . Thanks

4,305

Way to go! Eastwood sells manifold paint that will keep those babies looking new for along time. You won't regret going with the new aftermarket RA3's. Use Stainless bolts, don't bother with the stainless studs and bronze nuts. You can't get the manifolds on without removing the studs, which sort of defeats the whole idea. Pypes X set is great, I have the same with the prostreet mufflers. Good luck!