More Brake part questions

55

Asked by Feb 06, 2012 at 01:17 AM about the 1963 Pontiac Le Mans

Still have questions about getting the right brake shoes and wheel cylinders for my
car.  I just recently posted a  question about where to get brake shoes and parts and
I gotta lot of responses of different web sites to investigate.  Went to rockauto.com
and they only list one kind of shoe; there is a difference between the front and rear
shoes, or so I am assuming so have no idea what I'm getting there. Kanter.com does
not even list a brake shoe for the '63 Lemans.  Amazon.com lists several different
shoes from different manufacturers so, again kind of a crapshoot of just picking a
couple, sending money and HOPING against hope that I get the right ones.  
Amesperf.com has brake shoes for $72.00 with a $65.00 core charge, are these the
right ones?  If someone has actually physically replaced the brake shoes/wheel
cylinders on their '63 Lemans, maybe they have actual part numbers and the place to
go to get them.  You guys have been ALOT of help to me so far, and I thank you in
advance for any further help

1,075

Go to page 44 of Kanter's on line catalog and you will find what you need. I just looked it up, so I know that it is there!!

3,055

When i did the brakes on my 65 lemans i bought everything from a parts store in queens ,ny. shoes, wheel cylinders & hoses . you can try them their number is 718 738-5300 and they weren't as expensive as these restoration catalogs are. good luck. $72 is a bit steep for brake shoes. and do not get bonded brake shoes , get the riveted, the bonded ones fall apart when they get hot !!

1,075

Rucko, there is a world of difference in the 63 brakes and the 65 brakes. Even so, it's always worth a shot to try another source.

55

Page 44 of Kanters catalog had what I needed, just ordered. Thanks guys I'll let you know how it goes.

1,075

I'm glad I could help you, that's what these forums are all about. Enjoy your car.

3,055

whats the difference there all drum brakes , one set of brakes do not fit one car , depends on the size of the drums.

1,075

The size of the drum is of course a factor, but the size and placement of the hold down hardware, the placement and the size of the push rod feet of the wheel cylinders is another consideration. The size of the drum's diameter is important, also the width of usable swept area within the drum must be taken into consideration. We can have long and protracted discussions on the design of drum brakes throughout the industry in the early 60's, but I don't think that is relavent at this point in time. I'm happy that he found the product he needed and was able to get it in this day and age of shrinking "obsolete parts" inventories.

i agree with that ! he got what he needed, mission accomplished(lol) parts are hard to find for these cars & it's getting harder. most of the time it's a game of hide and seek.

1,075

Tell me about it, along with my interest in Pontiac cars in general , I am building a 1960 Volvo 544 into a mini street rod. WOW, talk about hard to find parts. LOL . The bottom line is you find and obtain the parts you need any place you can find them, I don't care if it's a parts store in Queens or a catalog from Canada, if they have the parts I'm all over them. Enjoy the hobby!!

Thanks zoneman , yes you're right about that, where ever ,when ever.

1,075

I think that is what these forums are all about, helping the other guy. I know I have one hell of a good time working on and driving cars that I like and allot of people have not seen very often or ever. The parts have to come from where ever you can find them. Enjoy the hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!