63 lemans326 sputterstalls periodically, esp going up hill. put in neutral & pump gas to get going

Asked by Mar 26, 2009 at 06:21 PM about the 1963 Pontiac Le Mans

I have a 1963 Pontiac Lemans.  It is white, white top and red interior.  3spd, 326 and 2bbl.  Very fun to drive.  I have a recent issue with it.  As I drive down the road all of a sudden it stutters, and wants to stall.  I put it into neutral pump the gas and get it going again.  If I am on a hill going up it completely stalls.  I pull over and start it up with no problem and I am on my way, until it happens again.  I have changed the plugs, wires distributor cap and fuel filter.  Filled with gas.  Any ideas?

20

Hi, my name is dne'. I don't know the answer to your question, but actually sounds like a fuel filter problem, or starved for fuel. anyway, my grandmother gave me her '63 Lemans when I was in Highschool(1973). Yours is the first in the color scheme that I had (white with red interior)! Is there a way to see a picture of your car~ really brings back memories! Just don't know how I go about communicating with you. I joined this site, so maybe I can keep in touch! thanks, dne'

175

The lady is right. Your fuel pump needs to produce 7-14 lbs pressure to insure fuel under load. Replacing it is a minor inconvience for an experienced mechanic.

175

Since you made this post in July I assume that project you are leaning on has been painted by now. What color?

20

Gee Armen, thanks for thinking about my car(and me!)! I just painted the majority of my stang last week! I had to take the roof back down to nothing and sandblast it to get all the rust off! Horrible learning lesson about rust(deep surface pitting rust). I hope it will last a couple or more years! Still have the fenders,bumpers,misc to paint! Thank you! dne'

175

Nice!! Is it a GT? What kind of primer did you use? This is my first resto. I used the wrong primer and the paint is already starting to chip off. I really hate to have to tear it all down again but, It needs it. The Line x coating is going to have to be replaced too. Bummer!

225

there is a sock on the fuel pickup in the tank, and it may be almost plugged with varnish

could be the points , for a few bucks you can eliminate the points for electronic ignition with out changing the distributor.

nice mustang !