DID IT HAVE A TRANS. IN THE REAR ? WAS IT DEPENDABLE ?

25

Asked by Jun 21, 2008 at 07:42 PM about the 1963 Pontiac Le Mans

43,895

A transmission in the rear? It had a differential, these were decent cars.

320

Nope. Trans is right behind the motor, where it should be. It can be dependable, as long as it's properly maintained.

Sorry to correct you but the Tempest Lemans have rear trans axles (2 speed power glide on v-8 models with very limited manual trans models being built. The slant 4 are more common to have a standard trans). It is a independent-suspensionm trans-axle driveline. They have a spring steel torque tube that is know to break quite easily, not a drive shaft. Its also not a common 326 CI V-8, its a 336 CI V-8 with .060 larger cylinders and pistons from the factory. In short, a 326 has a 3 23/32" bore, while the 1963 Lemans v-8 has a 3 25/32" bore, (Doing the simple math with the crank stroke) its 336.9 cubic inches. I found a complete 63 lemans convertible with 28,000 miles, and a virgin engine and machined it in my shop. I discovered the original rings, pistons, rod bearing, main bearings and so on. Thats when I noticed the .060 larger pistons. I know 3 other people that own a 1963 lemans and they all have the same engine/transmission/suspension packages. Its a fun vehicle that took me 5 years to restore, but its worth it. Its not a car worth 6 digits, but they are very hard to find. After all, its a baby GTO!!

I own a 1963 LeMans Conv. with the 326 V8, 4 Speed Man Transaxle (located on the Independent rear end) Not a Transmission like some models that are bolted to the Engine Block. It is for sale, for best offer. If interested I can post a photo along with any information desired. Like many vehicles of that era, it does need some TLC (Interior and Top) Email me at ton80don80@hotmail.com

correction on the 63 LeMans Trans, it is a 3 sp. Syncromesh not 4 speed