Who can I contact to convert my 1977 Grand Prix with T-Tops to a full convertible? I have only seen one and it is located in Canada.

30

Asked by Aug 04, 2012 at 09:31 PM about the 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix

Triple Black 1977 Grand Prix with original T-tops. 90k / 301 V8. It would be a dream of mine to make my 77 Grand Prix an exclusive auto mobile. I have only seen one other full convertible and it was originally a US titled vehicle. But is currently located in Canada.

257,915

Call a couple auto body shops in your area. They might be able to do it for you or recommend someone who can. Be forwarned, it isn't going to be cheap, and cost more than what the car is worth.

30

Thanks, but looking for a more specific answer. Most in my area want to put their children through college for simple work. If you know what I mean.

4,335

Actually what you're seeing is how expensive this project is going to be. It has nothing to do with anyone's college fund. It shouldn't be hard to find specialty shops that do that sort of conversion. Spend some time with Google, then do your homework and make sure the shop you use is reputable. This is a specialty car you are about to build for your own enjoyment. If you're thinking about cost, you probably can't afford it. It will indeed be an awesome custom car when you're done and nothing beats the enjoyment of driving topless. Just remember the car will never be worth anything near what you'll have invested in it no matter how nice a job you do.

30

Thanks for the feedback and yes, it's not about the cost, just making an analogy in fun. This really is about my enjoyment, conversations with others and of course the top down. Although I have t-tops, I want the full monty and the satisfaction of seeing what I envisioned come to life as I have only seen one prior. Which is not in great shape.

30

BTW this is what it looks like with a full convertible.

1,415

how can it be triple black if it is not a convertible?

30

This is what one (conversion) looks like! My vehicle is triple black, pictured at the top..

155

a lil off topic not to offend you, but your car looks better hard top. better future value, maybe better not to disturb your beautiful classic! Possibly sun roof instead of full top convertable....

3,235

you would have to find a body shop that does custom work. however that car with the original T-tops is worth alot more than converting it. I think it looks better too.

1,415

you have a black ext and black int -- thats double black -- Triple black means you have a black conv top as well ....

30

I beg to differ, if you viewed my vehicle, you would see it does in fact have a Black vinyl top!. Thereby classifying as Triple Black..

30

The Grand Prix with the convertible top was in fact converted and was originally a hard top vehicle. It was said to have been professionally converted.

4,335

It's a great looking car with the top down. As I said before it would make an awesome custom. I agree its kind of a shame to mess with your very nice T top car. On the other hand, in terms of value I don't think those cars are worth all that much regardless of style or condition. It's too bad, because they were classy as can be in their day, but just like my Cutlass they'll never really be collectible or valuable. Of course there's more to it than just money. I hope you'll show us the results if you do the project.

I have one in Atlanta GA too. From what I understand GM had 5 converted to test the market.

Another view

Another view

30

Thanks for the answer, how much was the conversion and did Pontiac do the conversion for you?.

No I bought it already done. Look at My answer above.

Hi: Looking to buy 1977 grand prix convertible, If someone want to sell, contact me on my cell # 708 774 0604, Thanks Craig

bambam00: I have one for sale if you are interested. Email me at builder3@charter.net