Transmission swap

Asked by Feb 27, 2011 at 07:52 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Firebird

Will a 5 speed manual trans from a v8 Firebird fit a 2.8 v6 Firebird engine?
I have collected the pedals, and some other necessary parts.  

If it were me I would go to salvage yards and see if the engine is in the same place as the other engine is and 2 be sure the bolt pattern is the same. If you are just swapping engines then you maybe good to go however if it's the other way around you must look at the wiring and be sure the harness is a match to ur trans and of course the pilot bearing and the spline input and output shaft must match. I would go to the dealership and take a walk in the back and speak with the trans specialist he may have seen both types of cars and know.

I have 4 cars, 1 is a 1990 Camaro, the 1 is a 86 TA, it's wrecked but runs great. My 1st plan was to use the entire drive train from the TA and swap into the perfect V6 body, but the price of gas has me thinking the v6 may be a smarter option for driving. The V8 is hard to service in the body and the 6 is simple. I got the trans for the 8 but after reading other posts here I was led to think I can use a flywheel for an 8 on the 6 and problem solved use 8 parts, but does the bellhousing match is my question so far no one knows. MY cars are all together and hard to move and get measurements from. They are in a yard, soft, and parked very close for space. i probably should sell the lot and forget my grand idea, but I have done such swaps on other cars with much success.

I can see why you desire to use the camaro V6 in these days of high gas prices. I refuse to let the so call green people and the government or me into selling my T/A just because it' a SD-455 and i coe o no passing emmisions.It's my pleasure / back-up car it's the heaviest car and drives so beautifully even the Z28 don't drive as nicely due to it being lighter. I love my cars. Cars of the 60's and 70's you could get away swapping trans and engines around much less wiring and more room to work with in. So you must have an automatic trans and not a stick. I would just be sure that the line up pins and bell housing are the same bolt pattern in which I bet they are since chevy is the only power plant used since 88. just be sure the output shafts matches the drive line and the bell housing bolts and the wiring for the trans for computer shifting. Then you should be good to go. I wish you the best and hope I have helped you get on ur way. ~Roger~

10

the five speed will not fit the 2.8....