68 400 FIREBIRD COLD START FINE PARK AND RESTART BAD LIKE ITS FLUDED

Asked by May 04, 2010 at 06:19 PM about the 1968 Pontiac Firebird

THE CAR WILL COLD START AND DRIVE ANY WHERE BUT WHEN PARKED FOR A SHORT TIME IT STARTS HARD LIKE ITS FLUDED AND RUNS BAD OR COULD SHUT DOWN . I WAS TOLD VAPER LOCK BY 1 MECHANIC , HEI MODUIAL BY ANOTHER . I CHANGED MODU FUEL PUMP OLD FUEL LINE TUNE UP . THE CARB IS NEW LAST YEAR NO PROBLUMS LAST YEAR .

5

Hi, what do you mean exactly by 'starts hard'? Do you mean the engine does not turn smoothly for half to 1 full rotation then starts?

The engine starts like it's flooded, and I have to clean it out like it is flooded. I have noticed after running the engine and shuting it down that there is alot of vapors comming out of the vent tubes. I am asuming this is my flooding problem. Please HELP if you can. And thank you!

5

I am going to try break this down based on a similar issue some time ago. 1. Get engine to running temperature and check ignition timing. 2. Check total timing once ignition timing it set. 3. Disconnect choke linkage and ensure that primary air plates are fully open (vertical) with nothing that can close them. 4. Give the car a few hard runs in first and second gear like on a track , shut it off and see how things look 5. Ensure car starts fine and go for a run If all is OK and issue is gone, reconnect choke and see if the issue re appears.....had seen this when the choke woudl play up and just close of the primary air flaps. Let me know

225

leaking needle valve,or float setting too high