what engines will fit in my 69 bonneville?

20

Asked by Oct 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM about the 1969 Pontiac Bonneville

I have a 1969 bonneville with no  engine, what size, make, years can I drop in there?

34,975

EVERY and ANY just get a wiring harness for it and an ecm if applicapable.

20

how about a 454 pulled out of a 1979 itasca motorhome?

34,975

Gas? If so then yea just get all the stuff

20

Thanks John, what exactly do you mean when you say "all the stuff"?

34,975

If its connected to the engine then you need to trace it back and find out where it connects. Not sure if it has any type of control modules attached anywhere but anything related to the engine has to make its way to the car.

3,005

any pontiac v8 400 428 455 ill fit made from 1969 TO 1973

20

Ok thanks, that helps, I was going to buy a chevy 454 so I'll pass on that.

100

the 454 will fit with more modifications, transmission adapter, motor mounts etc..

34,975

The Itasca has a Chevy 454 and I'm sure the trans is stock also being either a TH350 or TH400. Take both the engine and trans and put them in your car. It should bolt right in no problems or issues. Change motor mounts, and a trans adapter for an engine and trans combo that came stock in that vehicle.... why?

20

So the year doesn't matter? Why should motor mounts be changed?

3,005

you will have to get mounts for the 454, which is a chevrolet engine, bonneville is set up for a pontiac v8.... you may not have the experience level to pull off this swap if you don't know the difference

20

John thanks for your help!

34,975

Summit racing sells a kit that will allow a third grader to do this engine swap. Pain in the ass 30 yrs ago yea but this is the 21st century!!

34,975

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ GM_B_platform

20

John I have another option, a 400 out of a 77 Lemans, besides checking that the motor turns over and the compression what else do you recomend that I check on it? and further, what work do you recomend I have done to it before I install it?

34,975

I would start by pulling the pan and plastiguaging the crank. Replace all the gaskets, rebuild the carburetor, and check the timing chain. I'd chase some performance since the mid- late 70s and up seriously lacked power. Forget the carb rebuild and beef up the top half of the motor starting with the heads all the way to the Carb. I wouldn't bother rebuilding the old one. I'd sell that Itasca and sell the lemans body if its in your possession and put all the money towards making a monster.

4,765

Any Pontiac engine 1967 to 1973 will bolt in. Some cautions: All Pontiac heads are interchangeable for those years. How you plan to drive the car matters - a LOT. Compression ratios, valve size, ports, all have major effects on power and octane needed. You can get most of the information you need on line, and Pontiac heads are easy to find. For pump gas you'll want something under 9.5 CR. Stay away from the high compression heads unless you plan to race, or don't mind carrying gallons of additives to get the octane you'll need. Without question, spend some money on getting the heads properly set up for today's gas: bronze guides, stainless valves, mild port + polish. Ram Air 3 exhaust manifolds are good for 10-15 HP over stock. Forget headers, they only make HP at high RPM. Get HEI ignition, a good 4 bbl carb, and you'll be making close to the factory HP of a high compressoin stock motor, but on pump gas. Good luck!

20

Thanks Norm, so do you think I will run into issues with a 1977 400 bolting in?

3,005

motor mount bolts may be different, easy fix.....

4,765

Daniel is right. The late 70's blocks had a slightly different mount setup. Some Firebird engines have bolt locations for both early and late mounts. Not a problem, you'll want new motor mounts regardless. Performance Years, Year One, Ames, and OPG all carry mounts to make this swap, same cost as stock items. Not sure what your transmission plans are, but 65-79 BOP will all fit. I'd strongly recommend a Stage 1 200-R4 overdirve automatic, its a virtual bolt-in with a TH350 driveshaft from a late 60's BOP. You'll see 20-24 MPG highway and you'll still blow people away at stop lights. Just make sure you get a bellhousing inspection cover for the driver's side starter motor location.

3,005

sounds like you will have a nice ride when its finished. good luck

20

I have the turbo 400 tranny that came in the 69 Bonneville. I also have the tranny that came with the 1977 400, I'm pretty sure it is a Turbo Hydra-matic.

I have a 1965 bonneville will a 1975 400 fit what will i have to change to make this fit thanks

Is there a crate motor, turn key, that I could have someone install?