Where did they all go?

25

Asked by Oct 14, 2007 at 02:14 PM about the 1961 Pontiac Bonneville

I am the owner of a 1961 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. After driving this car from Cleveland,OH to Sarasota,FL and back, I have to wonder why I saw no other '61 Pontiacs on the road or at car shows. The car made the trip in grand style with no problems.

43,545

Well, figure that the average American car of the 1950s and 60s lasted about 100k miles. If the average driver puts 10k miles on per year, you've got nearly total attrition of the 1961 model year by 1971. Add to that the issues of rust -- predominant in the Northeast, as well as the central states where snow occurs --, accidents, and the constant churning of vehicles as intended by the car companies redesigning them every few years, and most of them probably ended up in junkyards or recycled already for scrap metal. They are great cars, but a 1961 ANYTHING is not a common sight anymore.

745

It is world classic car.there ain't no more,except in private cillections.your a lucky guy