Timing chain issues

Asked by Mar 09, 2015 at 10:45 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

hi...I have a 2006 chevy cobalt...I got it hung up in the snow a couple weeks ago, and in the process of trying to get it out the engine started making a ticking sound, it would get louder if id go faster....The roads around here were awful and I couldnt get it in anywhre I checked my oil as the car was past due for an oil change, and put some oil in it, one day the car just died and wouldnt restart, it would turn over, but nothing, after a family member got to looking at it they found a broke peice on the timing chain...the timing chain its self wasnt broken just this peice...im sorry i dont know the name of the part, but I do nknow its not something that you can get from a parts store it had to be ordered through the dealer, so im waiting for that to come in...i was informed there is a possibility that in the midst of all this the engine could have thrown a rod, or bend something or any number of things that could cost me a lot more money, he said it could have happened, or they could put this peice on it and it could be just fine...Im trying to figure out what the liklihood is that there is damage to my engine?

4,865

The first thing is don't drive it or run it until its fixed. And if it has to go in to a shop for work have it towed. If it still turns over it is not too likely that you've bent anything... yet. But if that timing chain actually breaks the valves and the pistons will collide and it will be all over for that engine. (I speak from experience). Ask them to do a compression check if the engine is not apart already. That will give you some idea if any engine damage has already occured. If it checks out OK, have the chain replaced and you should be fine. They are tough little engines and good for a lot of miles if you don't neglect them. (Did I mention that I speak from experience?)

10

Thank you. I found this very helpful as my chevy cobalt just had this problem. They told me that it is likely the motor is damaged. After reading this, I called them and asked them to do a compression check. They are going to do that and get back with me......