what is causing my cylinder one misfire?

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 09:58 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

I own a 2006 chevy cobalt it has around 130k and never had any issues, only routine oil changes. I had a ignition switch recall called on my car, a day after hearing of the recall, i was driving on the highway going around 75 mph, my car stalled, i started it back up and drove it off the highway and to a gas station, it had make some thumping sounds, after turning my car off, i couldnt start it back up again, it turns over but there was a loud thumping, almost like a knock. My check engine light had come on at this point. There is no fluids leaking, and had no smoking. My car turns over but sounds horrible, it will not drive. I took my car to a gm dealership to allow them to fix the recall, during the recall fix they ran a diagnostic test and it showed i had a cylinder one misfire. Im not sure what could be causing this issue, but i know i dont want to spend a whole lot of money. I have a few things in mind that i have thought it could be, but i need a second opinion.

112,275

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301 -- check this out for possible causes and solutions. But the thumping has me scratching my head. Have you checked your oil and coolant levels?

My boyfriend really handles most of it , but we are scratching our heads too. & yeah everything is fine. We were thinking a bad spark plug or coil pack- thanks.

but i just wasnt sure if it could be something else making that noise, cause it sounds pretty nasty

9,735

The sound you heard may have been a timing issue,maybe jumped a few cogs,would explain sudden cut off at 75 mph.and misfire on #1., Come on DANDY think>>: )

112,275

From what I am finding about your engine it is an interference engine. Meaning that if timing chain jumps time the pistons can come in contact with the valves. A bent valve would cause a misfire and possibly a knocking sound. I would do a compression check on all cylinders. Any cylinders showing 0 psi will have bent valves.

9,735

There you go dandy : )

112,275

Also finding where some of these have what is described as a timing chain tensioner rattle.

112,275

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/timing-chain- tensioner-replacement-fix-engine-rattle-46159/ -- check this out. Video on here of a minor rattle sound. See if it kinda sounds like yours

112,275

Ok topshadetree. I a little slow some times. Lol.

9,735

you pretty good,your rating is #3 : )

9,735

but im coming : )

112,275

yes. You give good answers. You will climb fast.

I had a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls and it had an issue where it stopped running all together and when I checked the plugs cylinders 1 and 2 were crushing the ground points on the plugs now I have an 08 cobalt with the same 2.2 and it has a misfire on cylinder 1