no power to the fulepump

Asked by Nov 25, 2012 at 02:08 PM about the 1989 Pontiac 6000

33,705

How do you know that there is no power? Have you unplugged the connector at the pump and tested it? Remember the only time the pump will get power is while the engine is running and for about 3 seconds after the key is turned to the on position. You can't just walk back there and test the pump voltage whenever. I'm saying this because I believe the pump in your car is bad not the wiring.

97,145

It could be a bad relay too. Check it out before dropping the tank.

33,705

Tenspeed is also correct. For a wire to go bad it would have to be flexed and unflexed excessively, the insulation would have to be nicked, or the wire would have to be overloaded and since the fuse prevents overloading and the plastic wire loom prevents flexing and helps act as a shield towards road debris nicking it the odds of a wire being bad are slim. Wires usually only go bad from 2 things 1 is an animal chewing it. Number two is work was done to the vehicle and the wires didn't get put back in the plastic loom where they were.