Can you share info about the AIV for a 1986 Nissan Hardbody?

Asked by Apr 22, 2015 at 04:52 AM about the 1986 Nissan Pickup

My truck won't start!!!  Found out it's missing the AIV or some part of the assembly. I
believe I'm missing the air filter housing... pictures included.  I'm looking to buy or
trade, but would love to understand what how it works and make my own.  I
understand it separates the filtered air and the dirty air and from what I can tell
recycles the dirty air, running it back to before the filter... I would like to install a
temporary rig for now, but feel like I won't fully understand until I talk to someone about
it.

39,125

If you need a new unit, I would google southern state salvage yards like Texas, Florida, Nevada. You send them an email or call them. They will let you know if the part is available, plus shipping to your address. Here is some info on how it works. The air induction system is designed to send secondary air to the exhaust manifold, utilizing a vacuum caused by exhaust pulsation in the exhaust manifold. The exhaust pressure in the exhaust manifold usually pulsates in response to the opening and closing of the exhaust valve and it decreases below atmospheric pressure periodically. If a secondary air intake pipe is opened to the atmosphere under vacuum conditions, secondary air can be drawn into the exhaust manifold in proportion to the vacuum. On some applications, the Air Induction Valve (AIV) control solenoid and the Swirl Control Valve (SCV) solenoid cuts the intake manifold vacuum signal. These solenoids have an electrical connection and vacuum lines. If equipped in your vehicle, make sure the unit is properly mounted and all connections are properly installed. The introduction of fresh air (oxygen) into the exhaust stream allows a further burning of the exhaust gases even after they have left the combustion chamber. In this way, the air induction system contributes to the reduction of CO and HC emissions in the exhaust gasses. The system usually consists of two air induction valves, filter hoses and routing cables. Air Induction Valve Case The air induction valve case is attached to the air cleaner, and consists of 2 reed valves, a rubber seal and a filter. There are 2 types of air induction valve cases. One type is equipped with 2 hose connectors, and is installed on California models. The other type is equipped with 1 connector and is installed on non- California models. Air Induction Valve Two reed type check valves are installed in the air cleaner. When the exhaust pressure is below atmospheric pressure (negative vacuum), secondary air is sent to the exhaust manifold. When the exhaust pressure is above atmospheric pressure, the reed valves prevent secondary air from being sent back to the air cleaner. Air Induction Valve Filter The air induction valve filter is installed at the dust side of the air cleaner. It purifies secondary air to be sent to the exhaust manifold. Air Induction Pipe The secondary air fed from the air induction valve goes through the routing pipe to the exhaust manifold. Anti-Backfire (AB) Valve The AB valve provides air from the air cleaner to the intake manifold to prevent backfiring during deceleration.